The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
Are you a creative, self-driven engineering professional that thrives in fast-paced environments; cultivating new ideas, and collaborating with key stakeholders to expand a business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
The Project Manager applies theories and principles of science and mathematics to design and develop technical projects for the pork and packaged meat industry. They perform engineering assignments on large and complex projects generally leading a team of junior engineers. The role works independently with guidance only on the most complex situations. The Project Manager uses their experience and knowledge to interpret threats and trends to pro-actively develop solutions.Core Responsibilities
- Design Work
- Develops preliminary engineering designs and engineering and material specifications.
- Develops project cost estimates.
- Performs design work including researching data, conducting feasibility, and economic studies.
- Determines design criteria in accordance with required standards and codes for assigned projects.
- Performs validation of field work and transfers completed projects into as-built drawings.
- Reviews and checks engineering projects submitted by plants for completeness, accuracy, and soundness of applied engineering principles.
- Manages execution of projects by providing direction to equipment vendors and contractors.
- Manages project installation schedules by coordinating project activities with plant personnel, vendors and contractors.
- Aligns with management and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
- Design Implementation
- Coordinates and provides direction to equipment vendors to plan layouts, meet utilities requirements, and maintain installation schedules.
- Reviews consultants’ submitted work products and recommends adjustments as appropriate.
- Maintains documentation on equipment manuals, mechanical/electrical drawings, parts lists, specifications, and vendor/service contact information.
- Reports and Proposals
- Conducts engineering planning, design and operational reviews in pre-project studies.
- Determines scope of work, prepares requests for proposals, and evaluates proposals.
- Submits reports to management by established deadlines.
- Review of Bids and Project Preparation
- Is responsible for contract administration including review of bid packages.
- Prepares project documents including justifications, budget analyses, calculations, plans, and schedules.
- Monitors installations and ensures proposal specifications and budgets are met.
- Manages budget activities as assigned.
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Engineering or related field and 5+ years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and techniques related to food processing and the meat industry, preferred.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles to operational and design issues.
- Knowledge of installation and construction project scheduling.
- Must possess Project Management skills; Contract Administration skills; National codes and standards interpretation skills. Previous experience in the management of multi-million dollar projects with large scopes, desirable.
- Proficient in engineering economics.
- Proficient in AutoCAD.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Word processing software, other Microsoft Office products.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Travel is required with extended overnight stays.
- This position may lead a team of engineers and will provide training and guidance to Associate Engineers, Project Engineers, and Senior Project Engineers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.