- High school diploma or equivalency certificate (GED) and completion of a Vocational or technical training program in Elevator and Escalator maintenance
- A minimum of two (2) experience as a licensed Elevator/Escalator technician (Elevator and Escalator maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair)
- A valid driver's license issued from jurisdiction of residence
- Certification from National Elevator Industry Education Program (NEIEP), Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (JATC) or equivalent CET (Certified Elevator/Escalator Technician)
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Elevator/Escalator Journeyman is responsible for performing complex maintenance and repair tasks on elevators and escalators and troubleshooting related problems. The employee is assigned moderately difficult to complex elevator/escalator work in Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)'s facilities and field locations to handle all normal aspects of the job, using all standard approaches, methods, procedures, tools and equipment.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, replaces and installs a variety of elevator/escalator systems, components and fixtures.
- Repairs and overhauls defective components, operates devices to test performance, lubricates and cleans components and equipment. Makes major adjustments to functional components, devices, and control instruments and improves elevator/escalator reliability and performance.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on elevators and escalators.
- Repairs electrical support equipment and responds to equipment deficiencies, determines problem(s) and repairs and restores the elevator/escalator equipment to serviceable status.
- Dismantles elevator/escalator units using hoists, ladders, and hand and power tools to gain access to components and machinery.
- Complies with all elevator, escalator and construction related regulations, laws and codes. Adheres to codes established by the National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) and ANSI/ASME.
- Performs assignments in accordance with established maintenance and safety rules, regulations and procedures. Adheres to codes established by the National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) and ANSI/ASME.
- Attends on-the-job and formal training classes.
- Maintains cleanliness of work area.
- Works variable days, shifts and hours as required.
- Operates an Authority vehicle as required.
- Mentors apprentices and others as required.
- Assists in the replacement or installation of new elevators and escalators
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.