The Experienced Organic Analyst performs preparation techniques and instrumental analysis of environmental samples for the determination of organic compounds (semivolatile and/or volatile). Performs routine and complex instrument maintenance and instrument troubleshooting. Day to day activities include analyzing environmental samples using GC or GC/MS systems in conjunction with automated sample introduction systems. Performs sample preparation, quality control sample preparation, data evaluation, and data reporting. The Experienced Analyst will utilize scheduling and approval systems in the Accutest Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
Works without oversight and will often be involved with training of other staff members including Analyst I trainees. Proficient at instrumental analysis and learning new tests should be routine. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare and analyze environmental samples according to approved test methods and Accutest SOPs using GC and/or GCMS systems
- Utilize and understand essential Chemstation/Enviroquant functions for instrument tuning, sequencing and data processing
- Perform basic and complex instrument maintenance and repair as needed.
- Utilize LIMS functions including generating work lists, obtaining updating job status and data approval.
- Perform analytical standard preparation.
- Maintain all required documentation with accuracy and clarity.
- Read, understand and perform all applicable laboratory SOPs as written. Perform initial and annual Demonstration of Capability.
- Maintain familiarity with quality control measures and calculations required for applicable methods.
- Ensure laboratory glassware is properly cleaned and maintained.
- Follow all Accutest Safety, Ethics and Quality practices.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Assist in training and guidance of Analyst I and/or Analyst II staff.
- Required to operate multiple instruments, possibly in multiple departments, on a day to day basis.
- Is able to perform advanced method development tasks including new test implementation.
- Is completely familiar with the instrumentation and software in the laboratory.
- Assists the Team Leader or Supervisor with scheduling tasks when needed.
Receive guidance with respect to general objectives; in the majority of tasks and projects assigned, determine methods, work sequence, scheduling, and how to achieve objectives of assignments; operate within specific policy guidelines.
Qualifications Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B.S. or B.A.) in Chemistry, or a related field from four-year college or university
- Two to five years related experience and/or training
- Employment in an analytical laboratory operating similar GC and/or GC/MS instrumentation a plus.
- The ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
- The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
- Demonstrate responsiveness and adaptability following change initiatives, and demonstrates ongoing support for change efforts.
- Understand and comprehend information, as well as find application and value from new knowledge.
- Exhibits high levels of energy and enthusiasm.
- Methodical and efficient in structuring tasks to be accomplished.
- Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems, applications and equipment used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization.
- Writes and speaks effectively based on the psychological, relational, situation, environmental and cultural dynamics within the situation
- Encourages and embrace dialogue from team members, while anticipating and resolving conflicting differences by exploring mutually agreeable solutions.
- Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
- Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
- Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
- Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
- Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
- Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
- Ascending or descending stairs, ramps and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Moving about on foot to accomplish task for sustained periods of time.
- Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position.
- Substantial movements (motion) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers in a repetitive manner.
- No special vision requirements.
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items and works with the fingers.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
- Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
- Regular work schedule.
- Minimal travel.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will be called back shortly. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.