The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This position is responsible for the quality of export products produced at the Smithfield, VA North facility. Responsibilities include working with Export Manager, QA, and Operations to ensure the product is produced to the specifications and verifying that the quality systems and programs are in place specifically for export products. Other responsibilities include verifying the integrity of specialty hog programs from receiving of the hog to the shipment of the finished product. This position is expected to master and apply Quality Assurance and Food Safety policies and procedures.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Based on production schedule obtain export codes that were produced and perform routine audit correlations and product reviews with plant management, QA, and product management.
- Conduct verification of key operational parameters identified as critical to export product quality (FM control programs, enhance sanitation procedures, product handling requirements, cold chain management, other special customer requirements).
- Monitor audits of export product in the plant as well as cold storage facilities to include label verification, box performance, pallet condition, box integrity and export document accuracy.
- Assists with training QA and Operations in new product specs and customer requirements.
- Analyzes QA data to established trends in product and process consistency. Analyzes non-conformance to determine product/process variations.
- Propose improvements to both products and process to QA, Sales, and Operations management for continual improvement for export product.
- Coordinate with plant management for disposition of non-conforming product or deviations from operational parameters.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of experience in the meat industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Basic knowledge of USDA regulations and programs.
- Strong understanding of the different pork cuts and main defects associated with each piece.
- Ability to understand specs and audits as they relate to the customer expectations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, the Internet, copiers, fax, and calculator, etc. and able to take sales quality photos.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills required.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Strong oral and written language skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.