Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB’s Electrification business is a leading provider of a full range of protection, control and measurement solutions - enabling safer and smarter electricity flow from substation to the point of consumption. We deliver products and systems designed to connect, protect and control electrical systems, ensuring reliability, efficiency and safety for equipment and personnel.
For our Marketing, Sales and Product Management team, understanding the full potential of our technology and the trends in our markets is highly rewarding. In addition, helping customers all over the world improve efficiency, save resources and reduce emissions gives our work a powerful sense of purpose.
The role reports to Field Application Engineering Leader. As a Field Application Engineer, responsible for stimulating Business Division sales by providing technical support of products and services directly by Influencing Specifiers of ABB Products and Solutions (MEP, EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction), DBC (Drive Back up Contol), End User), assisting those users with application of ABB Products and Solutions, and collaborating with ABB Field Sales, Channel Partners and customers.
Field Application Engineering consists of providing technical support, developing solutions to technical application problems, educating customers, sales, and Channel Partners along with collaboration as an FAE Team to work with Product Management and Marketing to be knowledgeable of standards, codes, and applications of ABB products and solutions.
Additionally, the Field Application Engineer, will work independently to represent the Company technically in negotiating agreements, logistics, and business issues while promoting and maintaining good customer relations and protecting the Company's interests.
- Responsible for providing pre and when needed post technical support influencing regional sales activities that includes the utility sales force, the commercial and industrial sales force, OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) sales force, Sales Reps and Distributors. As subject matter expert on all ABB Electrification Product offerings.
- Perform and support engineering activities and related analyses associated with major project electrical designs and provide technical application advice to customers and less experienced field application engineers.
- Establish schedules and coordinate technical support activities.
- Represent the Company in conferences with customers, consulting engineers, contractors and vendors.
- Provide application, technical and business advice involving projects and electrical system design ideas for consideration.
- Develop customer contacts and, in conjunction with other support groups, establish strategies for obtaining new business and assisting sales to meet financial objectives.
- Provide advance information on potential business opportunities and related business development efforts.
- Provide customer technical support for EL products and systems application, utilization, technical support for customers, consulting engineers, channels, product managers, product marketing managers, and manufacturing plant application engineers.
- Conduct customer training seminars to help customer personnel in the application and the operation of the EL products and services.
- Assist customers with technical applications to influence specifications, enhance ABB sales results, and enhance customer goodwill.
- Attendance of trade shows, seminars and conferences as necessary for the achievement of core objectives.
- Assist Product Management and Marketing Specialist (PMS) to meet division financial objectives in conjunction with Field Sales organization; provide and coordinate technical support on new products to include publications and training aides. Interact with utility, industrial, consulting engineers.
- Develop papers for IEEE and other industry events to raise awareness of ABB and the FAE team in these critical groups and or technical conferences
- Coordination with sales organization and division technical support in order to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Maintain competitive base of knowledge and serve as Business Unit experts with respect to competitor’s products.
- Participate in the specification of new products in conjunction with internal ABB product management by the application of first hand knowledge of competitive products and customer preferences.
- Travel to customers or provide virtual meetings to provide technical support between 40 – 50% of one’s time in order to meet assigned objectives.
- Responsible for presenting product features and advantages on all EL products and applications.
- Work with product management and product marketing on product enhancement requirements from customer to ensure customer desired product features are included on future product releases.
- Work with Research and Development (R&D) to provide input on product quality design issues.
- Provide power system engineering, protection, and troubleshooting expertise.
- Consult with other engineering groups to ensure that specified engineering criteria are suitable for the proposed application, and recommend revisions, as appropriate.
- Plan, conduct or coordinate straight-forward engineering analysis, and prepare related reports and summaries, for review.
- Ability to learn all ABB products, solutions and capabilities and apply those technical skills in our customer base for the benefit of growth with ABB’s EL division.
- The establishment of a working relationship with existing local ABB sale force and customer base.
- Possess high level technical power systems design skills while having ability to communicate with customer base and Front-End Sales effectively in a challenging technical project.
- Acquiring local market knowledge on customer base, channel issues, market gaps, and market opportunities, effectively communicating needs to Senior Management.
- Ability for time management since many groups looking for internal and external technical support.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Engineering, and 10 years' experience OR or Master’s Degree, preferably in Engineering and 5 years’ experience in power industry.
- PE certification a plus
- Position requires the ability to travel 40%+ of the time during a typical work week.
- Experience in a global and diverse environment interfacing with many cultures and languages.
- Proficient use of MS Word, PPT, Excel, Visio software, Power System Design software such as EMTP-RV, ETAP, SKM etc.
- Ability to create and present power point presentations to a variety of audiences including customers, training groups, seminars and senior managers a must.
- Experience in distribution automation role a plus and Power systems design familiarity needed.
- English Fluent Speaking and writing although additional language proficiency a plus.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in the United States.
- Relocation assistance available for highly qualified candidates
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.