Field Service Technician / Engineer - Marine Services
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
In this position, you will provide technical support for Process Automation Marine & Ports in Service in Miramar, Florida, delivering superior, professional service, remotely or on-site.
Reporting to the Field Service Manager, you will be planning and executing, with minimal professional guidance, complex technical field assignments involving the installation, modification, test, inspection or repair of company products and equipment. The FSE may also coordinate work with other groups to ensure meeting customer commitments. Since the Field Service Engineer (FSE) is often the one who interacts with the customer’s operations personnel, they may also recommend measures to improve operations and customer service.
- General: Follows ABB policies and business ethics. Works in accordance with ABB procedures using applicable tools. Submits job paperwork in a timely fashion immediately following the applicable job assignment.
- Technical: Works independently to install, modify, test, repair, or inspect company products and equipment. Performs or coordinates complex and diverse engineering activities associated with field projects.Interprets technical drawings and schematics and makes changes as necessary in the field to reflect work carried out on site.
- Increases product and technical knowledge through factory or third-party training, technical manuals, and conventional or non-conventional resources. Troubleshoot and repair equipment, applying personal knowledge and experience.Provides technical advice to customers on-site and remotely.
- Works closely with project managers to coordinate site activity. Assume the role of site manager on some smaller projects. Provides leadership in the assembly and operation of lab and field service equipment. Records, compiles, and reduces data for analysis and assists in the subsequent assessment and reporting. Leads assigned field services – responsible for planning, analysis, and reporting of projects ranging in complexity from simple to advanced. Assumes the role of a mentor or an advisor to less experienced company personnel and customers.
- Ensures quality in the field. Projects: Represent the company in conferences and meetings with customers. Prepares or provides input for technical documents such as specifications, quotations, procedures, or technical reports. Reports opportunities and problems to management. Prepares timesheets, service reports, expense reports and other documents immediately following the work assignment.
- Sales: Promotes to customers, ways to optimize their operations or make general improvements. Seeks other opportunities to promote customer satisfaction and foster harmonious business relations. Assists the business development unit with technical knowledge for generating quotations and proposals.
- Leadership and Personal Characteristics. Good sense of urgency to Customer needs / Good Customer relations. Displays integrity and professional attitude. Trustworthy and efficient. Good leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Associates Degree, preferably in engineering or other technical field, and 2 years of experience in maintenance, preferably in marine service industry, or Bachelor Degree, preferably in Engineering, and minimum experience in maintenance, customer service.
- Open to travel about 85%
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Preferred qualification: Familiarity with marine/offshore work environment and procedures. Experience in service business. Advanced problem solving and troubleshooting skills and advanced time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and knows how to build commitment within diverse and fragmented environments. Communicate efficiently and effectively in a professional manner on all aspects on service activities. Efficient, organized, task orientated person, capable of interacting and communicating with all levels of customer, factories, and internal departments, both verbally and in writing. Possessing tact, empathy, diplomacy, and efficiency in communicating effectively. Analytical and accurate, with attention to detail, ability to plan and follow company strategy. Requires decision making ability with ability to work independently and on own initiative without continuous supervision.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Wellbeing program
- Medical insurance
More about us
ABB Marine & Ports supplies world-leading technologies that are driving the evolution of sustainable shipping. Electrical propulsion, data-driven decision support and integrated solutions for ship and shore from ABB are paving the way to a zero-emission marine industry, providing greater efficiency and reliability to shipowners, and preparing vessels to meet the demands of tomorrow. Our automation and electrical solutions are making port and terminal operations safer, greener and more productive. ABB Marine & Ports operates in 26 countries and has 2,000 employees. www.abb.com/marine
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.