The Financial Aid Advisor is responsible for providing financial aid support and counseling services to students attending American Public University System (APUS). This position communicates updates to students utilizing Federal Student Aid to support their educational goals.
This position requires engagement in student recruitment, admissions and/or financial aid activities, and therefore, is ineligible to receive certain types of incentive compensation.
- Advises and educates students on various forms of Federal Student Aid
- Primarily answers student inbound calls, also replies to emails and makes outbound contacts
- Seeks out opportunities to enhance the student experience and promote high-quality service
- Independently performs research to assist students and parents through the financial aid cycle
- Remains flexible to daily workflow and task changes as a result of staffing needs, increased volume, or service level agreements
- Collaborates with other university departments, as needed
- Proactively communicates feedback and trends to management
- Ensures daily tasks and contacts are met within established SLAs
- Adheres to laws, regulations, policies and procedures, and compliance requirements
- Meets department quality and productivity metrics
- Performs other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Office Hours: Monday - Friday 12:30 pm - 9:00 pm or Saturday - Wednesday 9:30 am - 6:00 pm based on business need.
- Capability to work remotely as assigned. This position is not a remote position; however, may require telecommuting on occasion and incumbent must have capability to work remotely.
- Potential to work holidays, if needed.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Effective interpersonal communication and listening skills
- Aptitude to think critically and solve problems
- Ability to utilize multiple systems in transition between tasks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Outlook, Word, Access, and PowerPoint
- Solutions and detail oriented
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience in customer service, call center, or office environment