Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Fraud Specialist at our Alexandria, Virginia location. The primary responsibility of a Fraud Specialist I will be to complete all the necessary forms and paperwork involving fraud claims/notifications and work fraud alerts requiring research. Duties also include receiving incoming calls from members, fraud victims and internal PenFed employees, and taking action to resolve issues and requests for assistance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for processing actionable alerts/fraud notifications, conducting research into these alerts as needed.
- Analyze and validate Identity Theft claims and other fraud claims as they arise.
- Review accounts and transactions for fraud activity and take appropriate action, such as restraining an account, to prevent fraud losses.
- Assist PenFed members of fraud alerts and work with them in order to resolve issues.
- Collect and report suspicious activity information utilizing Suspicious Activity Reports and documented organization processes.
- Review membership information and identification documents when there are discrepancies or irregularities, to determine the validity of information.
- Resolve fraud claims in accordance with government regulations CC, E/Z and any other regulations as required.
- Accurately record data and remarks utilizing spreadsheets and notes on alerts.
- Keep abreast of current fraud trends in the financial services industry as well as different types of fraud schemes.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all related regulations and laws, including the US Patriot Act, FACTA, BSA/AML, Regulation CC and Regulation E.
- Monitor decision alerts in Actimize, FraudNet, Salesforce, AFS/EWS and other fraud tools, with a high degree of accuracy and take appropriate action to prevent fraud losses
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- High School Degree required; Associates Degree preferred.
- Proficient working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Basic knowledge of banking or credit union operations preferred.
- Basic knowledge of fraud types and fraud schemes preferred.
- Excellent oral and writing skills.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds. *
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.