Applications will be continuously assessed.
Minimum Qualifications :
• High School Diploma or GED
• Must also have experience in or ability to quickly acquire the skills needed to safely operate hand and power tools and operate small engine equipment (tractors, skid loaders, snow blowers and brushes).
• Gardener D
o Two (2) years of experience in landscaping, hardscape construction, and operation of landscaping equipment.
• Possession of a driver's license from jurisdiction of residence is required.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this class.
Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks including frequent lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds and occasionally to 75 pounds.
Ability to distinguish basic colors for safety identification.
Gardeners - perform general and specialized landscaping and grounds maintenance activities including but not limited to: mowing, weeding, cultivating, fertilizing, mulching, trimming, pruning, planting, seeding, sodding; and collecting/disposing trash and debris. In addition, Gardeners are responsible for preparing for and responding to severe weather events, including snow/ice and flooding by staging supplies/materials at designated locations and by removing ice, snow, and debris. Incumbents use hand and power tools and operate motorized equipment (loaders, tractors with various attachments, bobcats, street sweepers, lawn mowers, sweeping machines, snow blowers and chain saws) in the performance of their duties.
• Performs, in compliance with established procedures and maintenance standards, basic to complex landscape maintenance duties, to include: mowing, weeding, mulching, trimming, pruning and planting and any other related activities or tasks, at revenue and non-revenue facilities, in order to ensure facilities and grounds that are safe, neat, orderly and aesthetically pleasing.
• Safely loads, hauls and operates a variety of equipment such as mowers (push, self-propelled walk behind, and riding mowers), backpack blowers, tillers, trimmers and edgers, in order to complete landscape maintenance tasks.
• Prepares for and responds to severe weather events by inspecting/securing storage areas; by staging supplies and equipment; by operating equipment to remove snow/ice, installing/replacing sand bags at known flood locations, and by trimming/removing trees damaged by heavy rainfall or high winds.
• Collects and disposes of trash and debris from facilities, rail stations, bus divisions, parking garages and parking lots routinely, and ensure trash receptacles to be available to customers and to minimize pest infestation.
• Reports issues related to safety, vehicles and equipment to supervisor to ensure the supervisor can follow up to take required corrective actions and to identify and resolve root causes.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.