Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Geo Science Researcher that will provide support to the Natural Gas team. The research will involve characterizing methane emissions from natural gas gathering pipelines.
The Geo Science Researcher will conduct; analytical, experimental, investigative and other fact-finding work using standard scientific approaches and techniques to support principal scientific researchers, observes, calculates, records and interprets the results of tests and analyses, and designs, constructs, modifies, calibrates, operates and maintains equipment used for these purposes or devised as a result of the work.
The project includes the following tasks:
- Assisting NETL staff to obtain cooperation from landowners and secure site access agreements for field campaigns.
- Designing field campaigns for determination of leakage rate from abandoned wells in multiple regions.
- Collecting, recording, and analyzing methane concentration/emission rate data.
- Preparing reports, presentations, and publications on the results of the study.
- The candidate will prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders is a requirement for this position.
- Period status reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and customers.
- The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. The manager will request the applicant to provide a PowerPoint presentation for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is generally once every 6 months but can occur at a higher rate.
- This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ph.D. in relevant science or engineering discipline. (environmental science, atmospheric science, meteorology, environmental engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience in field monitoring (collecting field-based environmental data and subsequent analysis)
- Experience in dispersion modeling. (e.g. Gaussian plume modeling)
- Experience in source-receptor modeling. (e.g. Positive Matrix Factorization)
- Experience in using EPA Other Test Method (OTM) 33A, Geospatial Measurement of Air Pollution, Remote Emissions Quantification – Direct Assessment.
- Experience with using analytical instruments that measure ambient concentration of greenhouse gases. (e.g. Los Gatos UGGA)
- Skilled in using programming languages such as R and Python.
- Experience in designing and managing unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) campaigns to collect environmental data. (UAV pilot license not required)
- Knowledgeable about the EPA Greenhouse Gas Inventory structure and sources of data, particularly regarding emissions from the oil and natural gas sector.
- First authorship of peer-reviewed journal articles and posters/presentations at national conferences.
- The prospective employee would be familiar with working in a Research and Development setting.
- The candidate would have experience conducting research at a GOGO (Government owned Government operated) lab.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.