Know that there are people behind the data. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Specimen Processor you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, our Specimen Processors play an essential role in our success and provide a critical service responding to the often pressured requirements of accurate diagnoses. As a career, it offers a unique opportunity to learn and develop a profession offering long-term stability and development. You can also earn a competitive salary and great overtime, while growing your own career.
Supervisor assists the department supervisor by performing combinations of the following activities: Schedule coordination, providing input to supervisor for performance review and disciplinary action, process and compliance auditing. Can perform all of the duties of a Technician II and III, and typically leads 8-10 employees. MUST MAINTAIN CONFIDENTIALITY AT ALL TIMES. Will have access to overall employee and department performance. May have knowledge of disciplinary actions up to, and including, termination. May have knowledge related to departmental performance that could be detrimental if released to the wrong environment.
1. Resolve complex TIQ problems and troubleshoot complex problems as they apply to their job. This includes work distribution and staffing issues as they arise.
2. Monitor the handling of sensitive accounts.
3. Assist all Processing employees regarding TIQ, specimen types, test requests, and handwritten orders. Guides all SPT’s in proper test selection and problem resolution.
4. Assure optimum utilization of human resources and ensure that all job responsibilities are addressed for each shift. Includes staffing for weekends and holidays.
5. Schedule Processing employees for daily work assignments, assist supervisor in prioritizing those assignments.
6. Communicate with management, Logistics, and laboratory, both orally and in written form.
7. Monitors the production, quality, and activity of all SPT’s in order to meet departmental deadlines.
8. Completes data collection, monitoring, and posting of department metrics, when needed.
9. Assist the supervisor(s) in the coaching for improved performance, cross-training within department, providing appropriate feedback to all SPT’s, and maintaining a positive work environment.
10. Answers and clarifies all employee questions (including laboratory personnel) regarding processing. Must be able to work effectively with the technical departments to resolve problems and gain cooperation.
11. Provides appropriate feedback to supervisor(s) when problems arise. Makes suggestions and recommendations to enhance workflow.
12. Monitor and reconcile Exception report, awaiting maxi log, and daily patient counts.
13. Retrieves and monitors department statistical reports from LIS and/or Cognos system, when needed. Feed back information to employees when appropriate.
14. Ensure User Acceptance Testing and documentation are completed and problems are addressed in a timely manner.
15. Participates in Six Sigma projects, when needed.
16. Completes appropriate shift paperwork, sets up for production, and ensures that their staff has cleaned up at the end of their shift.
17. Helps keep department overtime to a minimum.
18. Monitors supply inventory, ordering supplies when needed.
19. Repairs and maintains department equipment and notifies appropriate personnel when repairs beyond the general scope are required.
20. Assists in, or performs all, training. Coordinates with department trainer, cross-training and department auditing functions as assigned by the supervisor(s).
21. Responsible for scheduled Saturday rotation, ensures that all functions are complete and work is processed appropriately.
22. Contact clients with regard to interface issues, critical specimen-related issues, and any other necessary communications.
23. May participate in interviewing new hires.
24. Complies with, and ensures, that all Quest Diagnostics Incorporated and Specimen Processing policies and procedures are adhered to.
25. Perform all other job duties as assigned.
-High School diploma or equivalent. Some college coursework preferred.
-Has minimum of 3 years Specimen Processing experience.
-Has demonstrated a positive leadership attitude regularly.
-Has shown that they are a consistent team player.
1. Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
2. Shift work with required overtime including weekend work.
3. Must be able to effectively communicate to all levels of staff.
4. Must also have the ability to reflect good judgment when determining what action to take when resolving problems.
5. Must be able to work in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits.