Measure Development Clinical and Statistical Quality Lead
Practicing Wisely is a collaboration between Dr. Marty Makary – a surgical oncologist and health researcher at Johns Hopkins – and Oliver Wyman, a global management consultancy with a leading Health and Life Sciences practice.
The program evaluates practice variation along specific clinical decisions to provide a window into what care is wasteful. Each measure represents a unique clinical decision for a clearly-defined patient population and is developed in close partnership with leading specialists and considers best available clinical evidence.
Our clients engage Practicing Wisely to put these measures to work in a number of ways, including driving physician behavior change (simply showing physicians how their performance compares to their peers can lead to meaningful reduction in waste) and referral management.
We are a fast-growing start-up that benefits from the expertise and support of leading management consultancy. We are a dynamic and fun team dedicated to improving health care!
The Measure Development clinical quality lead will be responsible for establishing and running processes to ensure that the measure development team produces statistically and clinically robust measures.
• Work with our measure development team to ensure the statistical and clinical quality of the measures we develop
• Help set direction for exploration and creation of new measures and work with Practicing Wisely leadership team to set direction for broader measure library development
• Communicate measure development approach and details of individual measures internally and to potential and current clients
• Interface with Practicing Wisely’s clinical team and with external physicians and other clinicians to refine and validate our measures and generate new measure ideas
• Over time, potential for greater operational leadership of the measure development team
Skills and background required
• Academic and professional background
o Bachelor’s degree, with further specialization required in a field related to clinical data and quality
o Minimum 3 years of experience in clinical quality research or professional experience in this fields
o Strong familiarity with clinical decision making required – clinical training (ideally a physician or Advanced Practicing Clinician) is preferred
o Comfort with large datasets and statistical techniques required (see technical skills)
o Understanding of the US healthcare landscape and private and public quality improvement efforts preferred
o Experience working with insurance claims data preferred
• Other technical skills
o Comfort in Excel, SQL and/or SAS required
o Comfort in other software languages a plus (Python, VBA, etc.)
• Other professional skills
o Strong presentation ability preferred
o Strong execution and organization skills
o Leadership experience (teams of 2+) preferred
Location and Travel
• Candidates can be located in either Chicago or New York
• Role involves semi-frequent travel (e.g. monthly) to communicate with clients, work with components of the team that are based in other offices.