Applications will be continuously assessed.
- High school Diploma or possession of a General Equivalency Certificate (GED) and
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited vocational school and/or training program in basic heating, air conditioning repairs (on-the-job mechanical training is acceptable)
- HVAC/REF-EQMT-Mechanic "AA"
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience satisfactorily performing the duties of a HVAC/REF- Equipment Mechanic or performing the duties of a HVAC/REF-EQMT-Mechanic A for one (1) year
- Must possess a valid Journeyman or Master HVAC/Refrigeration license from Maryland, District of Columbia or Virginia
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal CFC (Chlorofluorocarbons) Certification, Type 1.11.111
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The HVAC Refrigeration Equipment Mechanic is responsible for technical HVAC/Refrigeration related equipment maintenance and service work. The incumbent is responsible for inspecting, maintaining, installing and repairing commercial and industrial type air conditioning, refrigeration and heating systems in accordance with local codes, operations manuals and manufactures' instructions. This includes split systems, packages, window units, heat pumps, gas heaters, electrical heaters and related ventilation systems located in the Authority facilities.
Job Levels : At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description
- Installs various types of air conditioning/heating and refrigeration units, in accordance with local codes, manufacturers' recommendations and standard specifications to include charging the system, performing installation start-up and checking operation procedures.
- Diagnoses equipment failures and performs necessary repairs by making appropriate adjustments to the system and/or replacing malfunctioning components. Performs repairs, inspections, required adjustments, testing, troubleshooting, cleaning, lubrication, and scheduled maintenance on assigned HVAC and refrigeration systems, subsystems and components in accordance with schematics, wiring and flow diagrams, standard operating procedures, operation manuals, manufacturers' specifications, maintenance instructions, and local and federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards.
- Performs preventive, scheduled, unscheduled or corrective maintenance, troubleshooting and tests on all HVAC/Refrigeration systems, subsystems and components using measuring equipment such as multi-meters, flow meters, pressure gauges, leak detectors, vacuum pumps, pneumatic control testers, air velocity indicators, and other instruments and tools as required.
- Operates special shop equipment (drill, grinders, fork trucks, hoists and cranes). Maintains HVAC, air conditioning and refrigeration systems by performing scheduled maintenance inspections and test, removing, replacing, or repairing defective or worn parts, lubricating and cleaning or recharging equipment; performing leak detection tests; soldering or brazing tubing and piping; installing and replacing filters, metering devices and solenoids; and adjusting or calibrating pneumatic equipment to manufacturers' specifications using approved procedures and test equipment.
- Maintains HVAC electrical components (circuits, wiring, starters, relays and motors) by performing maintenance inspections and test, removing, replacing and repairing defective or worn parts, cleaning and lubricating components as needed. Calibrates and adjusts electrical control devices such as thermostats, humidistats, modulating valves, relays and controllers, to assure that various WMATA facilities are adequately maintained and in operational condition.
- Completes the required forms, tags, and other documentation that describe maintenance work. Enters data into the Authority maintenance database and prepares parts requisitions for the supervisor's approval, in order to maintain the integrity of WMATA's equipment and assure compliance with local and federal documentation standards.
- Attends and passes the required safety training classes and continuously learns industry best practices for working safely and efficiently. Performs assignments according to established industry and WMATA's safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
- Supports response efforts in emergencies by providing immediate maintenance to protect assets. Responds to, and provides assistance during severe weather emergencies, ensuring safety requirements are met/exceeded accordingly, delivering an excellent customer service experience and maximizing productivity.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.