With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The Head of Commercial Finance manages all aspects of Commercial Finance globally, working closely with the SVP of Strategy & Finance, VP North America Commercial Operations, VP International Commercial Operations and Pandemic, and other finance functions across both Seqirus and CSL. The role is the key business partner to the Seqirus Commercial Operations team and has primary responsibility for coordinating commercial financial activities globally and for proactively advising Commercial leadership on issues related to the performance of the business, the delivery of revenue and EBIT targets, and the successful management of the Commercial Operations spend envelope. This role will provide challenge and counsel to the wider commercial team regarding financial performance, working with teams to set operational and financial targets, ensure monthly results are fully understood, ensure financial risks to the business are appropriately managed and opportunities fully explored. The position includes management of the commercial finance business partners globally.
Reporting and analysis
- Responsible for providing detailed commentary, analysis and insights into commercial performance, including proactive assessment of impending issues or opportunities.
- Specific measures include but are not limited to:
- Sales, Gross Margin and Gross Margin % performance versus budget and prior year, at total, regional, market, customer, and product level by business unit (Seasonal, pandemic, in-licensed)
- Price volume analysis at all levels versus budget and prior year
- Returns analysis by market, by product, by key customer
- Average selling price analysis by market, product, customer level
- Providing insights and using those insights to challenge the current commercial offering. For example; looking at ways to reduce levels of returns
- Understand commercial expenses and return on investment.
- Provide insight to Commercial leadership on Seqirus Group results
Credit and returns
- Manage the returns process with Commercial and Global Finance Shared Services (GFSS) to ensure credit notes for returns are raised in accordance with approved authorisation levels and are raised on a timely basis.
- Ensure credit notes in relation to other commercial agreements are authorised and approved in line with the agreed table of delegations
- Work with commercial and GFSS to ensure credit risk is appropriately managed. Provide oversight and management of process with commercial to set appropriate credit limits for customers
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Set and agree expectations for Commercial outcomes in terms of sales ambition and level of expenses with reference to relevant external and internal expectations and benchmarks
- Agree timelines for all financial exercises
- Provide challenge and counsel into budget and forecast exercises, level of growth, key ratios etc
- Help Commercial leadership prepare for challenge on the numbers and strategy
- Work with Commercial leadership to tell the financial story behind budget and forecast commercial performance
- Ensure all key assumptions are aligned across the business
Long term planning – Product and Market Strategy
- Provide input into product strategies, helping Commercial leadership to ensure product strategy is clearly defined and aligned with R&D timelines for key trials.
- Input into market strategies, evaluating financials for different strategies in terms of product launches, selling price corridors, marketing strategy and RoI. Help Commercial leadership to define and evaluate different scenarios in terms of timing, prices achieved and market share. Help to define the different triggers/ levers that will result in the different scenarios.
Short-mid term planning
- Understand and challenge changes in near term (1-3 years) demand and price expectations by market.
- Understand impact of changes in terms of Sales and Gross Margin. Ensure visibility and explanation of all changes as part of the supply & operational planning process
- Support Commercial leadership in relation to key commercial initiatives, ensuring robust business cases are prepared.
- Development and support of financial analysis around business development opportunities
- Work with customer services teams to ensure customer master data is complete and accurate in advance of the season
- Support commercial with customer negotiations and disputes.
- Participate in the pricing governance committee, ensuring prices agreed are within agreed product and market strategies
- Ensure controls over the update and maintenance of pricing data are documented and evidenced
- Leads and manages external reporting requirements in respect of the US Sunshine Act and EU EFPIA reporting commitments, ensuring robust processes and procedures are in place
- Ensure all external reporting requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline; MBA or other advanced degree in related field desirable
- Professional certification (CPA/CA) preferred
- 10+ years' experience in accounting and finance, including management of people and processes. Preferred experience in life sciences, vaccines, or pharmaceutical / biotech industry.
- Demonstrated leadership experience including influencing senior management and critical stakeholders
- Broad business / financial experience supported by strong analytical skills
- Experience of Global working with multi-disciplinary/cross-cultural teams
- Demonstrated knowledge of global and corporate business context
- Ability to lead teams with tight deadlines in a dynamic environment with multiple deliverables
- Ability to interact and engage with senior leaders in the business and lead and motivate non-financially minded individuals
- Desire to continually improve processes and procedures
- MS Office at advanced level preferred
- Excellent SAP skills
- Good Technical accounting knowledge
- Strong awareness of the importance of internal controls