For over 80 years, Segal has been a leader in organizational and human resource consulting. Our clients are employers and plan sponsors of all sizes covering millions of employees in dozens of industries. As an independent privately and employee-owned firm, we have a relentless commitment to the success of our people, clients and company. Our mission is simple: We deliver trusted advice that improves lives. As a part of our team, you will work with colleagues who are smart, professional, experts and...nice. Headquartered in New York, Segal has offices throughout the US and in Canada. We believe that a collaborative and diverse workforce best meets the needs of our business and clients, so we offer competitive pay and benefits that attract the best in our field.
We are recruiting for an Health Benefit Consultant to join the Boston Office Health Practice. This position reports to Sasha Korman, Senior Consultant.
The Health Benefit Consultant works under the direction and guidance of health benefits consultants and senior client team members. Works independently and on teams exercising cooperation, initiative and commitment to achieving quality in work products and meeting assignment and project deadlines. Contributes own thinking to enhance the value and quality of work products. Must possess excellent communication (oral/written) and interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with a diverse audience. Must have strong project management and quantitative skills.
- Possesses and/or develops and applies competent knowledge of and skills in core health benefits, health insurance and managed care services and products;
- Works with and analyzes complex data and actuarial valuations of health plans (e.g., budget projections, retiree health valuations, demography, claims experience, financial performance, cost-effectiveness, renewal analyses, health delivery system and/or other benefits related issues);
- Issues request for proposals and analyzes responses to assist clients in selecting a financially viable option that will deliver high quality benefits to their participants; reviews client contracts and benefit agreements with insurance carriers for accuracy and compliance;
- Prepares reports and memoranda communicating results of analyses to consultants and clients;
- Interacts effectively at senior levels with health benefits staff, consultants and clients on more complex matters;
- Has regular client contact on routine and complex matters including presentation of work products, requiring limited supervision;
- Manages junior staff on small to medium sized projects, demonstrating ability to plan, budget, delegate, oversee, quality assure, and deliver;
- May perform as technical consultant and/or secondary consultant on client teams and projects;
- Contributes to practice development and quality improvement initiatives; and
- Supports and may lead initiatives to grow revenue.
- Undergraduate degree with academic training in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Accounting, Actuarial, Mathematics) and analytical skills are a plus;
- 4 to 6 years of health benefits, actuarial, managed care, and/or underwriting experience;
- Actuarial exam achievement is a plus.
Affirmative Action/Diversity Inclusion at Segal:
At Segal, we are committed to a culture of diversity and inclusiveness, as demonstrated through our recruitment, retention and employee development programs. We maintain an environment that respects and builds on the assets and talents of each person, valuing their differences. We also engage in good faith efforts to maintain an environment free from discrimination and harassment in strict compliance with applicable laws, and consider all qualified candidates for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or medical condition, protected veteran or military status, criminal record history, marital status, or status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We also engage in affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and protected veterans. Maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce is a win/win, and provides Segal with the opportunity to leverage our top talent to provide innovative solutions to our clients.