OutcomesMTM is the national leader in Medication Therapy Management programs. We are looking for an energetic and self-starting individual with an entrepreneurial mindset to work with our innovation team to establish our actuarial practice. This position will regularly interact with internal teams including executive leadership, and external counterparts to recommend, educate and participate in actuarial product development. You will enjoy this role if you like creating, designing, and implementing actuarial models, building an actuarial practice, and supporting new product development.
The Healthcare Actuary is primarily responsible for pricing the risk reflected in the current and future MTM contracts. This role includes the design, implementation and assessment of actuarial pricing, reserving and financial forecast models that are tailored to the markets OutcomesMTM serves.
- Leads, designs, and develops actuarial assumptions used in pricing, bid development, and reserving.
- Provides an actuarial viewpoint for OutcomesMTM as we rapidly grow our at-risk payment arrangements.
- Makes recommendations to leadership to protect the organization’s financial integrity by completing accurate financial analysis and risk assessments to evaluate specific strategic options and opportunities
- Participate and lead financial and actuarial analysis as it relates to strategic product development
- Works with Finance and other departments as needed to represent actuarial perspective in identifying, implementing and coordinating improved internal practices.
- For any actuarial activities that cannot be completed in-house, this position will manage use of outsourced actuarial services, including scoping work, vendor management, and performance management.
- Owns related reporting for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Completes work independently; receives general guidance on new projects.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor (or higher level) degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or similar field.
- 5+ years’ experience in the healthcare field or equivalent experience in a related field.
- FSA designation; an ASA designated candidate pursuing their FSA may be considered.
- Experience establishing an actuarial practice from the ground up to deliver business value.
- Experience working with providers and/or insurers, especially in regard to large claims or clinical data sets, working with actuarial models to evaluate trends or contract provisions, and performing modeling or predictive modeling
- Proven success in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Exercises independent judgment and decision making on complex issues regarding job duties and related tasks, and works under minimal supervision while also being a member of a cross-functional team.
- Mastery of foundational actuarial principles, including but not limited to pricing, valuation, modeling, and product development.
- SQL, SAS, or equivalent data base experience such as VBA knowledge
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (MS) tools
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of the healthcare industry, products, and business cycles/trends
- Excellent technical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Typical office environment
- Must be able to travel overnight up to 10%
- Sitting and standing long periods of time
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.