Herdsperson –Contract Facilities (rural Sullivan County)
DESCRIPTION - Responsible for the daily care of all animals on one site. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Takes care of animal health and husbandry, environment control, feed management, hospital pen management, culling, sorting, and safety procedures
• Reports potential or existing problems to Production Supervisor/Assistant Production Supervisor
• Ensures proper usage of medication following the drug residue avoidance/Broken needle policies, along with keeping accurate records of data
• Responsible for performing AM and PM Inspections of lagoons/risers
• Unloading/sorting of wean pigs according to weekly schedules
• Some maintenance work is required, along with troubleshooting problems with equipment and filling out work orders
• Responsible for accurate and timely record keeping of nursery activities
• Responsible for animal health and welfare and reporting
• Performs euthanasia according to company policy, and in a timely manner
• Responsible for responding to the farm when there is a problem with Hi/Low alarms, or Johnson Control malfunctions
• Responsible for accurate inventory counts on all animals
QUALIFICATIONS: Interested candidates must complete Pork Quality Assurance (PQA) Level 3 certification and access to reliable transportation. Qualified candidates must have knowledge of up to date standard operating procedures, with experience in prevention and recognition of potential health problems. Must be able to lift 50 pounds, stand on concrete, bend and reach to the floor frequently and move animals up to 50 pounds or higher with the appropriate equipment.Employees wanting to be considered for a posted position must complete a REQUEST FOR INTERNAL TRANSFER form, signed by their current manager. Fax internal transfer requests to 660-748-7111 before 5pm on the closing date. For additional information call 660-748-4647 or email at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
Smithfield believes strongly in promoting from within. The intent of the Job Posting Policy is to provide a communication method to all supervisors and associates regarding posted positions, with the purpose of providing associates the opportunity to assist in his or her own development. Temporary positions, reclassified or upgraded positions filled through intradepartmental transfer or promotion, and some management positions may not be posted. This is only a request and does not guarantee placement; the best applicant for the position will be chosen. Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EOE M/F/Disability/Vet; VEVRAA Federal Contractor
If you require accommodation or assistance to complete the application process, please contact the Recruiter. When you contact the Recruiter, please identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. We will assist you promptly.