Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
You will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, you will play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
Precisely and accurately performs and supervises the performance of routine and specialized histology techniques and procedures. Duties also include optimization of IHC protocol, reagent and supply inventory management, IHC study documentation and reporting, and training of colleagues in IHC procedures. Provides direct bench supervision for the daily technical and clerical workload. Responsible for maintaining standard operating procedure, quality control and approved quality assurance. Maintains the department and manuals to be ready for inspections on an ongoing basis. Manages a group of Senior and bench level technologist as well as lab aides. Assures that the Histology and IHC groups produce quality work on a timely basis while adhering to all policies and procedures mandated by state federal and regulatory agencies. Performs all Administrative duties related to the department to include but not limited to: scheduling, evaluations, writing policies, validations, disciplinary actions, etc.
A. SUPERVISED BY: Director of Laboratory Operations
B. SUPERVISES: Senior technologist, technologist and lab aides.
C. WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Other Managers, Departments Director and Pathologists
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or Chemistry, with minimum science requirements for NYS license
Desired: Advanced courses in Business, Management or Science
Required: Minimum of 5 years of experience in a combination of Histology and IHC. Previous supervisory experience in a high volume independent laboratory.
C. LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR REGISTRATIONS:
Successful completion of pre employment proficiency screening exam and color blindness test. IAC certification preferred. If applicable state license as a Histology technologist and a supervisor and/or ASCP certification as a Histology technologist. NYS license or eligibility
D. EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS:
Proficient with light microscopy, microtome, tissue processors, stainer, embedding stations, IHC platforms and other laboratory specimen preparation equipment.
E. SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Working knowledge of LIS and PC network environment to include word-processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
- Detailed comprehension of state, federal and professional regulations
- Ability to manipulate and analyze technical data
F. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Although a majority of time is spent in an office environment, infrequent exposure to both blood borne pathogens and chemical hazards may occur.
PHYSICAL AND COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to physically, audibly, and visually perform all functions with or without Reasonable accommodation
- Exercises judgments critical to patient care
- Concentrates for long periods of time during light microscopy
- Pays close attention to clerical and administrative detail
- Demonstrates a firm sense of professional ethics
- Works long hours at computer monitor
KEY PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage day to day histology operations for a 24 / 6 department.
- Oversee staff of direct and indirect reports.
- Microscopically reviews discrepancies found on daily Quality Control (QC) and abnormal review making recommendations to senior technologist for revised interpretation if necessary.
- Monitors technologist compliance with department quality assurance program as established by department manager and Department Director maintaining proper documentation of both technical and clerical errors.
- Ensure inspection readiness and full compliance.
- Provides technical feedback to staff regarding performance, documenting corrective action and reviewing cases at bi-headed scope as deemed necessary
- Reviews follow up data making recommendations to Director for revised interpretive criteria as needed.
- Makes certain that all federal, state and other regulatory standards are followed.
- Effectively schedules staff to meet turnaround time commitment of the organization making certain that work deadlines are met.
- Documents counseling of employees for performance deficiencies.
- Delegates’ responsibilities to staff to assure effective workflow and proper cross training.
- Ensures proper hiring and orientation of new employee’s personally supervising pre - employment testing procedures, department orientation and QC release.
- Disseminates information to staff regarding changes in policy and procedure affected by the management team or Medical Director.
- Participates in the safety training program of the company and makes certain that staff is properly trained
- Reviews performance of staff implementing progressive discipline when necessary.
- Motivates staff to perform both a quality and quantity of work consistent with professional standards
- Minimizes department costs by prudently approving vacation requests, reducing absenteeism, controlling overtime expense and operating within budgetary guidelines
- Maintains a department environment, which promotes cooperation between coworkers.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of professional ethics and immediately brings to the attention of the Department Director or Operations Director suspected errors that might impact patient care.
- Attends company safety programs and documents attendance.
- Complies with all departmental and organizational rules and policies.
HIPAA SECURITY LEVEL: High