- Processes tissues on processing equipment to ensure proper fixation for examination.
- Identifies and determines proper orientation of tissue specimens and embeds specimens in paraffin to ensure proper alignment for sectioning.
- Performs microtomy at proper micron thickness to render quality sections for diagnoses.
- Produces consistently good quality microscopic slides that can be readily reviewed and interpreted by the Pathologist.
- Performs routine and special staining procedures as required for diagnostic examination.
- Maintains equipment, including established preventive maintenance programs.
- Assists in proper handling and storage of supplies.
- Assists with department's Quality Improvement program through active participation in patient specimen identification and quality tracking measures.
- Assists in the evaluation and validation of new instruments and new technologies as needed.
- Participation in completion of assigned initial and subsequent competency assessment examinations as required.
- Maintains working knowledge of applicable Laboratory Information System programs and system changes.
- Participates in the training and orientation of new employees.
Associate's Degree (Required)
Graduate from Specialty Training Program (Highly Preferred)
Certified Histotechnician - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) (Required)