Are you an ambitious, enthusiastic leader with a desire to guide teams in achieving established goals and is interested in producing good food, responsibly for families across America? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods! In Operations, you would be on the front-line of the business; overseeing production, tracking product yields, and making necessary adjustments. Ensuring that safety and USDA health standards are met throughout all steps of the manufacturing process. You would be a key player in upholding the trusted quality in which Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other brands are known to possess.
The Hog Barn Supervisor supervises the movement of livestock from the receiving area to the holding pens/production line. Supervises and oversees training of administrative/production employees on assigned shifts to ensure production guidelines are being met within established timing, quality, and cost standards. Maintains/monitors facilities and company/governmental programs related to the hog receiving function.Core Responsibilities
- Receives, identifies (tattoo), scales, moves, accurately counts livestock, and helps manage rest times to meet recommended requirements. Maintains and monitors compliance relationship with FSIS.
- Monitors yard and truck conditions according to corporate and government standards. Monitors animal welfare practices. Takes corrective actions where necessary.
- Maintains a high standard of employee relations. Periodically reviews with all employees the company policies and procedures. Conduct monthly line meetings to address questions and concerns. Walk the barn/facility regularly to monitor activity and also address any immediate questions and concerns.
- Trains employees on best practices and emphasizes adherence with employees on daily basis. Manages employee schedules, sets annual goals with employees and reviews / evaluates job performance annually.
- Liaison for procurement with plant operations, maintain status on all incoming loads.
- Facility Maintenance/Planning \u2013 completes daily water checks, preventative maintenance on bobcat, schedule maintenance of facility, and inventory of supplies for the barn.
- Maintains management style that supports training and monitoring professional growth of employees.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2+ years relevant experience, required.
Bachelor's degree, preferred.
Producer Quality Assurance/Truckers Quality Assurance certification.
Captive bolt trained to euthanize downed pigs.
Bobcat Safety Training Certificate.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Strong math skills.
Ability to make independent decisions.
Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Directly supervises Hog procurement/receiving employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits