Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
You will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. As Laboratory Director for a Livingston, NJ-based hospital, you will have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
The Laboratory Director provides leadership and directs the training, development and supervision of laboratory personnel, and plans and schedules the activities of the laboratories. The Director also assumes responsibility for the proper application of policies and procedures, and operates the laboratories on a cost-effective basis. The Hospital Laboratory Director is accountable for the accuracy and reliability of all services provided by the laboratories under his/her supervision. This individual actively supports and complies with all company and hospital principles, policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure that all testing performed under his/her supervision is according to established, approved procedures and quality control policies.
Perform management tasks such as:
• Manage staffing, including recruitment, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
• Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for lab spending and initiatives.
• Develop and review budget, and ensure it complies with Quest and hospital goals and objectives.
• Establish necessary budgetary controls and maintain costs within budgeting constraints.
• Ensure lab processes and services are monitored for quality, cost effectiveness, and efficiency through continuous process and quality improvement.
• Coach and counsel staff to assist in their professional development.
• Anticipate departmental needs in order to establish both long and short-range goals; provide direction to the employees to ensure implementation of plans and the meeting of goals; and measure compliance in collaboration with administration (Quest Diagnostics and Hospital).
• Prepare written monthly reports of all laboratory activities and submit to the Systems Director as directed.
• Support and comply with all Quest Diagnostics and Hospital policies and procedures. Accountable for implementation and employee compliance with policies and procedures.
• Implement and coordinate Point-of-Care-Testing (POCT) within the hospital.
• Make recommendations for the purchase of capital equipment.
• Investigate and resolve problems; inform System Director of all major problems.
• Responsible for the maintenance and retention of all documents needed for Federal/State inspections; ensure successful inspections and initiate timely remedial action as appropriate. Ensure that the laboratory maintains certification in all testing areas and retains its license.
• Execute Safety and Infectious Control Procedures to ensure patient, staff, and visitor safety.
• Promote mutual respect and professionalism throughout the company and hospital.
• Ensure that client inquiries and problems are handled professionally and expeditiously.
• Perform other ancillary duties as directed by competent authority.
Experience and Education
• Proven performance managing a large team in a medical or laboratory-related environment, with at least 5 years of management experience.
• Strong business acumen; experience developing business case justifications and conducting cost/benefit analysis for department spending
• Experience developing and reviewing sizable budgets, and managing overall P&L
• Experience facilitating communication and partnering with the medical staff, clinical departments and senior leadership
• Technical and operational knowledge of Hospital Core Lab, Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, and Urinalysis is preferred
• BA/BS required; MBA or graduate degree in related field is highly desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work with hospital and laboratory personnel in meeting the standards for clinical testing with respect to cost, service, and quality
• Ability to work with and communicate effectively with physicians, hospital and company leadership and staff
• Detailed knowledge of medical-related operations
• Detailed knowledge of financial operations as it relates to functioning of clinical departments
• General understanding of laboratory and hospital information systems, implementation plans, and interfaces