Hospital Laboratory Supervisor - Chemistry, Urinalysis and Immunology - Hackensack, NJ - M-F, 1st shift
The Hospital Laboratory Supervisor provides oversight of laboratory staff and coordinates scheduling and utilization of department and shift of assigned responsibility. The Supervisor provides technical, administrative and logistical instruction and support. Maintains equipment, materials and supply inventories. Ensures accurate record keeping and procedures are in place. May conduct lab procedures, tests and perform research assistance. Ensures quality control and follow-up procedures are developed and implemented. Collects and analyzes data and prepares a variety of analyses and reports. Supervises, trains, and monitors competency and work assignments of lab personnel. Maintains knowledge and personal competency. Ensures policies and practices meet all regulatory standards and requirements. Both General and Technical Supervisors must have experience and competency in laboratory testing. Technical Supervisors are responsible for technical oversight of specific disciplines and must qualify as required by CLIA regulations and CAP criteria as a Technical Supervisor. General Supervisors are responsible for the day to day management of assigned laboratory areas, and need to be competent and meet qualifications to perform testing when needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees staff and activities of the department, distributes/assigns work; determines priorities; schedules non-routine procedures; performs personnel related functions (hiring, firing, discipline, training, etc.).
- Maintains schedule to ensure minimum staffing levels are met for shift/department, contingency planning for critical staffing levels
- Performs advanced/specialized tests and other related laboratory techniques. May duplicate work of others to confirm test results. Re-evaluates methodology, makes recommended changes and assists in test interpretation. Determines i further testing should be done on samples or if test should be repeated.
- Checks/approves all specialized and problem reports for accuracy.
- Initiates quality-control measures and monitors quality of work for adherence to laboratory standards.
- Performs duties of technologist as necessitated by absence or peak workload.
- Completes special projects as requested, e. g., validation/verification, surveys, statistical reports, studies, research, etc.
- Communicates and collaborates with Laboratory Manager to maintain safe and reliable laboratory performance
- Collaborates with supply chain/procurement to maintain adequate and efficient levels of consumable and reagent inventory.
- Leads process improvement through root cause analysis and problem solving
- Knowledge of department metrics goals and actual performance, coordinates department activity to achieve metric goals
- Technical Supervisor must minimally qualify under definitions within CLIA regulations, possess a bachelor’s degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, or chemical, physical or biological science and 4 years training and experience in high-complexity testing in the respective specialty. MT ASCP preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a Chemistry, Urinalysis and/or Immunology laboratory environment.
- Prior supervisor or lead experience is preferred but not required
- Must be ASCP certified