Serves as the Tier II contact point for the Human Resources Service Center (HRSC), managing inquiries about the Quest Diagnostics Leave of Absence programs. Resolves complex issues, completes transactional processes, and provides employee support in compliance with federal, state and/or local laws regarding Family and Medical Leave, ADA, state disability and group STD/LTD plans.
• Provide customer service support and meet the day-to-day Leave of Absence administrative needs of employees.
• Work collaboratively with Absence COE, HR Business Partners (HRBP), Payroll and/or other HR functional areas to resolve complex inquiries or issues.
• Maintain and utilize current knowledge of policies, guidelines and employment laws across multiple states, regions and functions.
• Complete bi-weekly payroll calculations for employees who are eligible for leave of absence state offset payments.
• Apply state-specific statutory leave of absence requirements when resolving employee inquiries.
• Support the business by providing required information to state agencies for statutory disability and family leave programs, using multiple systems to compile employee data.
• Provide support to employees, supervisors and managers in evaluating applicable protocols when employees do not adhere to local absence procedures.
• Conduct interactive dialogues with employees who are in an unapproved leave status to discuss return-to-work intentions and engage managers and HRBPs as needed to facilitate.
• Consult with Employee Relations to determine ADA opportunities as part of the return to work process. Track and follow up on employees returned with restrictions and limitations to assess progress.
• Facilitate communication between employees, management and other HR functions as appropriate, including when employees choose to return with accommodations or when the position has already been backfilled.
• Determine next steps for employees on unapproved leave status, including possible termination.
• Communicate clearly and concisely with callers while educating them on leave concepts and necessary next steps.
• Demonstrate respect, sensitivity and understanding for the caller's circumstance while maintaining professionalism at all times.
• Analyze workers’ compensation claims using a weekly report from the vendor.
• Determine if a concurrent FMLA claim should be opened.
• Confer with Quest legal department, Employee Relations and Employee Health & Safety team to assess leave status for employees with workers’ comp claims.
• Work with supervisors and managers to coordinate an early return to work from leave of absence.
• Ensure that employee leave status is reflected accurately in Quest systems throughout the life of a leave.
• Collaborate with third party administrator and other vendors as needed.
• Provide innovative ideas that can support the ongoing growth of the Leave Department
• Establish rapport with all levels of employees to facilitate the interactive dialogue process as well as reach resolution on LOA resolutions.
• Resolve issues and perform key processes as dictated by the established HRSC Service Level Agreements.
• Take a broad perspective to problems and spot new, less obvious solutions.
• Identifies key issues and patterns from inquiries and data.
• Escalate key trends and issues to the Sr. Leave of Absence Specialist and HRSC Benefits Manager.
• Maintain privacy and confidentiality of information, protect the assets of the Company, reports non-compliance and adheres to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and company policies and procedures. Maintain and protect personal health information. Maintain a high level of confidentiality and abide by HIPAA rules and regulations.
• AS/AA degree required; BA/BS degree preferred
• Minimum 4 years of previous experience working with leave administration.
• Strong understanding of applicable state and federal regulations associated with Short Term Disability, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), leave as an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Personal Leave of Absence, or Workers’ Compensation and/or other state leave and disability programs.
• Experience with employee relations issues preferred
• 2+ years HR Shared Service Center experience preferred
• Detail-oriented and highly organized
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Effective time management and organizational skills
• Familiarity with HR systems, such as HRIS, HR Reporting, Case Management, etc.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially Excel
• Ability to prioritize, problem solve and apply critical thinking skills
• Ability to effectively meet customer needs, and take responsibility for customer satisfaction
• Ability to follow established procedures in a timely, accurate manner
• Ability to maintain effectiveness and professionalism when experiencing change in work tasks and/or the work environment
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment and under pressure of deadlines
• Excellent collaboration, teamwork and interpersonal skills
• Fluency in English, bilingual a plus
• Role requires sitting/standing in an office environment; continual use of a computer and phone
• Customer Focus
• Conflict Management
• Priority Setting