Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB’s Electrification business is a leading provider of a full range of protection, control and measurement solutions - enabling safer and smarter electricity flow from substation to the point of consumption. We deliver products and systems designed to connect, protect and control electrical systems, ensuring reliability, efficiency and safety for equipment and personnel.
'If you are looking for big, global challenges, IS is the place to come. ABB's portfolio includes some of the most advanced power and productivity products and systems in the world. To help us work more efficiently, you need to understand the power and potential of information technology. If you have the energy, discipline and intellectual firepower to succeed, you will find almost limitless opportunities to stretch your thinking, expand your horizons and build your skills as you work with talented people all over the world.'
This role reports to Global IS Dept. Manager - Technology & Architecture. As an IS Solution Architect, you will be responsible for the design, integrity and quality of an IS solution and of associated IS services delivered to Business, Support Functions and IS Technology Domains as the case may be responsible for ensuring that the IS solution / service provides the required functionality and meets the cost expectations of business collaborates with and contributes to project set-up and delivery as well as servicing Operations optimization.
- Architect: Defines the technical IS (Information Systems) solution and ensures alignment with other modules and surrounding IS applications through cooperation and collaboration with IS solution architects across IS delivery units.
- Engages in requirement analysis to decide which requirements are covered by available, standard functionalities for which functionality enhancements are needed and for which functionality workarounds are accepted.
- Supports validation and prioritization of incoming business demand in collaboration with the relevant IS Service Manager and/or Global IS Domain Architect.
- Asks as a contributor within development team to deliver application changes, perform design reviews, perform code reviews and oversee overall technical solution delivery within subject domain and scope of application responsibility.
- Reviews and signs off on the functional and technical use case specifications.
- Best practice & Knowledge sharing: Keeps knowledge up to date regarding new and emerging IS technology and IS industry practices, bringing learning into ABB all within the scope of the relevant IS solutions.
- IS Services: Collaborates with users in projects and problem management to maintain, develop and deploy the best feasible and most cost efficient IS solutions/services for the business.
- Consults, gives advice and supports the installation of new IS solutions/services or the changing of existing IS solutions/services.
- Processes: Consults the users to identify and learn about current procedures and to clarify further requirements.
- Supports the installation, management, maintenance and optimization of all IS processes related to the area of responsibility.
- Governance: Provides guidance to IS project management and IS delivery unit teams on how to utilize IS application/solution standards effectively.
- Communicates project delivery related decision demand towards project and service management in collaboration with the Global IS Domain Architect to ensure resolution and avoid delivery issues.
- Commits and contributes to common result-oriented collaboration with the various Business Processes IS architectural domains as well as the various Enterprise Technology IS architecture domains.
- For assigned tasks, executes all actions in IS processes according to agreed RACIS (Responsible, Accountable, Consulted and Informed) or LEC (Local Exchange Carrier) definitions.
- Incident Change or Project: Contributes to IS Problem and IS Incident Management goals to address ticket volume by detecting re-occurring defects and eliminating these.
- Proactively supports issue resolution during project delivery to avoid delays or any other form of negative impact to a project or service.
- IS Strategy: In concert with the Global IS Domain Architect ensures that IS solution/service-related standards are considered accordingly.
- Stakeholder Management: Supplies the IS Service Manager(s) with relevant stakeholder information related to IS solution/services.
- When required, works together with relevant stakeholders (e.g. business managers, IS Service Managers, other Domain IS Architects, IS Solution Architects, IS Sourcing and Third Party IS Suppliers) regarding their expectations, business and technical requirements and in accordance with GF-IS policies (Group Function Information Systems), IS procedures and IS guidelines.
- People, Leadership and Development: Provides support to temporary work teams, guiding and monitoring task completion, sharing expert knowledge and advice with / without carrying line responsibility.
- Marketing & Sales Solution Architecture: Marketing & Sales encompasses all aspects of business-related front-end processes, including lead management, opportunity tracking, operational tendering, customer relationship management, order entry, customer service, delivery, warranty and aftermarket sales and service.
- Works with Functional Analyst to understand business and functional requirements.
- Translates functional requirements into modern, consistent application architecture and delivery end-to-end solution delivery.
- Ensures designed solutions are in line with the common application architecture for the Americas region.
- Provides guidance to developers in implementing the designed solutions and contributes to solution delivery with a hands-on positive attitude.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science or comparable experience with minimum 2 years of IS (Information System) experience in defined technologies and within relevant IS domain required.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States.
- Superior experience in translating business requirements into IS capabilities and solutions.
- Superior experience in objectively evaluating IS solutions and making recommendations.
- Excellent analytical skills and a deep understanding of the overall context of business processes and IS technologies.
- Excellent experience in leading IS people who do not report directly.
- Degree in information management, computer systems, business engineering or similar or equivalent experiences.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Basic technical skills and applied knowledge in the following areas: Web solutions, web-based or windows-based applications within marketing & sales domain and within a manufacturing environment.
- Microsoft.Net technologies, Source Control / Release Mgt (Git, Azure DevOps, GitHub), Microsoft SQL Server (T-SQL) and SQL (Structured Query Language) Server Reporting Services.
- NoSQL/Data caching technologies (Redis, etc.), Scrum/Agile Processes, Microsoft Office tools (including Visio, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint), UML (Unified Modeling Language) and Use Case Modeling, Process and Data Modeling.
- Minimum 4 years of functional analysis on web-based and/or ERP-centric applications would be a plus.
- Minimum 4 years of service-oriented architecture and micro-services API (Application programming interface) development preferred.
- Strong technical skills and applied knowledge in the following areas such as NET Core, ASP.NET (Active Server Pages. Network Enabled Technologies), Web API, Windows services, Contemporary web technologies (React.JS, Webpack, Babel.js, Node.js), Cloud Technologies: AWS (Amazon Web Services) and AWS services (EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), SMS (System Management Server), SQS (Simple Queue Service), SNS (Social Networking Service), Lambda, API (Application Programming Interface) Gateway etc.).
- Containerization technology experience with Docker / Kubernetes, Quotation and Configurator processes and systems.
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management) Systems, including SalesForce.com, Conceptual sales processes, including make-to-stock list price-based catalog sales, make-to-order and style-based configurable products sales, margin-based costing and pricing and engineer-to-order sales processes.
- SAP Order Entry processes, Conceptual Lead time and On-time delivery processes, Aftermarket sales and service processes and tools involving install base analytics, Microsoft SharePoint development or API utilization.
- Maintains awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application on the business’ needs and ability to communication effectively.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail / detail oriented.
- Customer/Client Oriented, Self-Starter/Self-Learning and ability to identify problems and address them to resolution.
- Strong team player and collaborator, consistently acknowledges and appreciates each team member's contributions, effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner, keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members and mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.