IS Solutions Architect, Non ERP Operations
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
This role involves responsibility for the design, development, integrity, and quality of an IS solution and of associated IS services delivered to Business, Support Functions and IS Technology Domains.
Reporting to the IS Delivery Manager, Operations, Engineering and Manufacturing, you will be responsible for ensuring that the IS solution/service provides the required functionality and meets the cost expectations of business; collaborates with and contributes to project set-up and delivery as well as servicing Operations optimization.
- Solution Architect: Defines the technical IS (Information Systems) solution and ensures alignment with other modules and surrounding IS applications through cooperation and collaboration with IS solution architects across IS delivery units
- Engages in requirement analysis to decide which requirements are covered by available, standard functionalities, for which functionality enhancements are needed and for which functionality workarounds are accepted
- Supports validation and prioritization of incoming business demand in collaboration with the relevant IS Service Manager and/or Global IS Domain Architect
- Performs design reviews and oversees overall technical solution delivery within subject domain and scope of application responsibility. Identifies as works to pay off technical debt within existing solutions
- Reviews and signs off on the functional and technical use case specifications
- Software Development: As a contributor within the development team, develops application code, delivers application changes, and troubleshoots and fixes issues reported by business users
- Best practice & Knowledge sharing: Keeps knowledge up to date regarding new and emerging IS technology and IS industry practices, bringing learning into ABB; all within the scope of the relevant IS solutions
- IS Services: Collaborates with users in projects and problem management to maintain, develop and deploy the best feasible and most cost efficient IS solutions/services for the business
- Ensures manuals for users are created to describe the operating procedures
- Consults, gives advice, and supports the installation of new IS solutions/services, or the changing of existing IS solutions/services
- Processes: Consults the users to identify and learn about current procedures and to clarify further requirements
- Supports the installation, management, maintenance, and optimization of all IS processes related to the area of responsibility
- Governance: Provides guidance to IS project management and IS delivery unit teams on how to utilize IS application/solution standards (e.g., SAP) effectively
- Communicates project delivery related decision demand towards project and service management in collaboration with the Global IS Domain Architect to ensure resolution and avoid delivery issues
- Commits and contributes to common result-oriented collaboration with the various Business Processes IS architectural domains as well as the various Enterprise Technology IS architecture domains
- For assigned tasks, executes all actions in IS processes according to agreed RACIS or LEC (Local Engineering Center) definitions
- Incident Change or Project: Contributes to IS Problem and IS Incident Management goals to address ticket volume by detecting re-occurring defects and eliminating these
- Proactively supports issue resolution during project delivery to avoid delays or any other form of negative impact to a project or service
- IS Strategy: In concert with the Global IS Domain Architect ensures that IS solution/service-related standards are considered accordingly
- Stakeholder Management: Supplies the IS Service Manager(s) with relevant stakeholder information related to IS solution/services
- When required, works together with relevant stakeholders (e.g., business managers, IS Service Managers, other Domain IS Architects, IS Solution Architects, IS Sourcing and 3rd Party IS Suppliers) regarding their expectations, business, and technical requirements, and in accordance with GF (Group Function)-IS policies, IS procedures and IS guidelines
- People, Leadership and Development: Provides support to temporary work teams, guiding and monitoring task completion, sharing expert knowledge and advice with/without carrying line responsibility
- Operations Solution Architecture: Operations engineering, and manufacturing encompasses all aspects of business operations, including engineering, R&D, production planning and scheduling, inventory and warehouse management, materials management, procurement, resource planning and use, manufacturing execution, processes involving integration of manufacturing machine control and monitoring as well as business planning and logistics and shipping
- Works with Functional Analyst to understand business and functional requirements
- Translates functional requirements into modern, consistent application architecture and delivery end-to-end solution delivery
- Ensures designed solutions are in line with the common application architecture for the Americas region
- Provides guidance to developers in implementing the designed solutions and contributes to solution delivery with a hands-on positive attitude
- Degree in information management, computer systems, business engineering or similar or equivalent experiences with minimum 5 years of IS experience in defined technologies and within relevant IS domain.
- Superior experience in translating business requirements into IS capabilities and solutions.
- Superior experience in objectively evaluating IS solutions and making recommendations.
- Excellent analytical skills and a deep understanding of the overall context of business processes and IS technologies.
- Excellent experience in integration of multiple applications and technologies into a functioning end-to-end solution.
- Development of web-based and Windows-based applications within operations domain and within a manufacturing environment.
- Software development in Microsoft .NET technologies (.NET/C#, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web API, WPF, WinForms, Windows services).
- Microsoft SQL Server (T-SQL) and SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Microsoft Office tools (including Visio, Excel, SharePoint).
- UML and Use Case Modeling.
- Process and Data Modeling.
- Excellent experience in leading IS people who do not report directly.
- Excellent experience in project planning and execution as well as understanding or anticipating the economic aspects of system management and life cycle.
- Solid experience of identifying and resolving issues between team members or other teams.
- 5 years of functional analysis on web-based and/or ERP-centric applications is preferred.
- 3 years of service-oriented architecture and/or micro-services API development.
- 3 years of SAP (or other ERP) integration experience.
- Strong technical skills and applied knowledge in SAP SD (Sales and Distribution), PP (Production Planning) and MM (Materials Management) modules.
- Manufacturing Execution Systems.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing.
- Business Logistics, Production Planning and Scheduling.
- Business models for various production and service-oriented organizations: Make to stock, make to order, configure to order and Engineer to order.
- Maintains awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application on the business’ needs.
- Strong Analytical Skills and Attention to Detail / Detail-Oriented.
- Ability to identify problems and address them to resolution.
- Consistently acknowledges and appreciates each team member's contributions.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
ABB’s Electrification Global Markets organization is responsible for the go-to-market strategy and generating profitable growth for the Electrification Business Area. Our 10,000 strong commercial team represents the portfolio of all Electrification Business Area Divisions in over 100 countries. Our unmatched domain expertise across key industry verticals and channels combined with our truly global footprint makes us able to deliver extraordinary business results, supporting our customers with solutions which address their current needs, whilst considering the future emerging trends such as Urbanization, Digitalization and Shift to Electricity and Sustainable Energy.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.