Experienced network engineer is desired to join a talented team in the design, management and support of a large regional enterprise and MPLS network.
- Deep technical knowledge of layer 2/3 routing and switching technologies including but not limited to 802.1q, STP, MPLS, OSPF, BGP, STP, VDC, QoS, IP Multicast is required.
- Experience and deep knowledge of Cisco hardware platforms which include both stackable and chassis based switch and router platforms as well as the Cisco Nexus product line is required. Experience with and knowledge of Juniper routing platforms and JUNOS is a plus.
- Experience with Wireless technologies and Cisco Wireless LAN deployment is preferred.
- Experience with cloud technology and migration strategies is a plus.The desired candidate should have strong written and oral communications skills with a particular emphasis on the ability to provide documentation for network projects and troubleshooting.
- The candidate should have experience directly interfacing with clients and the ability to engage in multi-disciplinary teams, including architects, engineers, facility managers, vendors and construction specialists.
- The candidate should have the ability pro-actively solve problems to ensure that projects are completed on-time and with-in budget.
- The candidate should be able to multi-task and handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with high level network certifications including the CCNP, JNCP and CCIE.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Data Communications, Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or related field with three (3) years of experience in enterprise technology leadership. Certifications in enterprise networking electronics and systems (voice and/or data) are preferred. Understanding of the ITIL operational best practices is preferred. Project management certification (PMI) or 1-2 years of large scale enterprise project management is preferred. Skills in reporting and ability to translate operational requirements into functional descriptions and conduct on-site surveys to determine communications upgrade alternatives.
Equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience will be considered if candidate can effectively demonstrate progressively responsible experience in enterprise technology leadership. Certifications in enterprise networking electronics and systems (voice and/or data) are preferred. Understanding of the ITIL operational best practices is preferred. Project management certification (PMI) or 1-2 years of large scale enterprise project management is preferred. Skills in reporting and ability to translate operational requirements into functional descriptions and conduct on-site surveys to determine communications upgrade alternatives.
Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from jurisdiction of residence and ability to legally operate a motor vehicle in Maryland, DC and Virginia. Must have a CCNA, VoIP System Certification from a major voice communication system manufacturer, or other equivalent/applicable technical certification.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The incumbent is responsible for the daily (24x7x365) engineering, operation and management of all voice and data networks and communication systems for WMATA in support of IT and WMATA's Mission and Goals. The incumbent is responsible for the networks which includes Metronet, CTS, BDN and the Avaya PBX/Voice over IP (VoIP) network. The incumbent works closely with the IT Network Communication Service (NCS) leadership team, IT Help Desk, IT Operations Center, Rail Operation Command Center (ROCC), Bus Operation Command Center (BOCC) and Track and Structures System Maintenance (TSSM) to ensure that all of the WMATA networks and communication systems are operating in a robust, reliable and secure manner on a 24x7x365 basis. This position is a senior level network engineering nature of work.
Manages, owns, tracks, escalates, communicates and coordinates problem resolution and escalation processes up to problem resolution.
Carries out tactical and operational plans including planning for growth, providing input for strategic planning, and anticipating requirements where possible.
Analyzes and defines network requirements and configurations, optimization, and support for network servers, routers and switches.
Prepares operational reports including trouble resolution and analysis, project status, equipment and network requirements/inventories.
Monitors network capacity and performance; diagnoses and resolves complex network problems.
Configures and maintains network backup and recovery procedures.
Adheres to IT policies and procedures (e.g., SDLC, COOP).
Assures the rigorous application of information security policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of network services.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. It is not intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.