Under supervision, the incumbent of this position provides professional nursing care to clinic patients. Works collaboratively with the providers within the team setting to facilitate quality care for the patient.
- Performs general nursing care to patients. Administers treatments in accordance with nursing standards.
- Assists with the preparation of equipment and aids provider during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
- Observes, records, and reports patients' condition and reaction to drugs or treatments to providers.
- Oversees appointment bookings and ensures preferences are given to patients in emergency situations. Maintains timely flow of patients.
- Greets patients and obtains well-documented history and vitals. Prepares patients for physical exam. Instructs patients in collection of samples and tests.
- May perform the following tasks in accordance with established procedures and as prescribed by applicable licensure/certification:
- Obtain/record vital signs; perform initial assessment on patient; coordinate patient transfer to hospital and/or discharge; give telephone orders; accept telephone test results; perform telephone triage; call in provider approved prescription refills; specimen collection including stool and urine midstream; catheterize patient; indwelling catheter urine collection; obtain throat culture; pregnancy testing; administer urine dip; obtain wound culture; perform snellen vision screening; eye injury management; administer optic/otic meds; assist with lumbar punctures; sputum collection; occult blood testing; assist with vaginal exam; teach crutch/cane walking; teach use of walker; apply Velcro splint; assist with plaster splint; apply moist heat and/or cold packs; administer enema; remove fecal impaction; administer oxygen; teach respiratory hygiene; administer chest physiotherapy; perform oral suction and/or infant suction bulb; wound care; apply sterile dressing; assist with circumcision; perform umbilical care; apply colloidal dressing; open sterile tray; apply topical medications; administer rectal and/or vaginal medications; give oral medications; and, give sublingual medications to adults and/or pediatric patients.
- May perform the following tasks only if appropriate training has been obtained:
- Blood collection by lancet; pulse oximetry; incentive Spirometry; suture and/or staple removal; ear irrigation; administer breathing treatment; give allergy/insulin/immunization medications to adult and/or pediatric patients; give intramuscular and/or subcutaneous injections to adult and/or pediatric patients; give injections Z track to adult patients.
- May perform the following tasks after providing verification of completion of special training:
- Blood collection venipuncture; audiometry exam; titmus vision screening; EKG; administer electrical stimulation; assist/process biopsies; draw blood from portocath; assist endoscopy, start saline lock or IV fluids and monitor IV fluids.
- Graduate from an accredited school of practical nursing or vocational nursing.
- Valid state license to practice nursing.
- Current BLS certification.
- Previous medical office experience preferred.