Lab Asst I - Hackensack, NJ - E/O Saturday and Sunday
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required – exemptions from vaccination requirement for medical and religious reasons will be considered if a conditional offer of employment is extended.
- Perform the daily activities as described below. Basic Purpose: Perform various routine laboratory functions in a precise and accurate fashion to assist the laboratory professional staff and to facilitate production.
- Sorting, and receiving specimens in the department.
- Performs routine instrument maintenance on some equipment.
- Performs laboratory tasks of centrifuging specimens, printing extra labels, recording data (temperature charts) specimen storage and retrieval.
- Preparing reagents and or media in the department.
- Preparing specimens at workstations for testing. (Including building worklists, aliquoting specimens into sample cups, checking specimens for clots and fibrin, inoculation, slide preparation)
- Performs QA/QC duties as assigned.
- Resolves pending lists.
- Finds missing samples.
- Decontaminates work areas.
- Performs weekly radioactive wipe tests.
- Maintains files for department records.
- Changes gas cylinders.
- Follows all PPE requirements and all safety regulations.
- Uses the laboratory computer system as well as operates PCs.
- Disposes of biohazardous material.
- Completes training and competency checklists as appropriate.
This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of the work performed by this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Medical assistant training helpful. Math and science courses preferred.
Work Experience: None required
- Must have the ability to establish work priorities and to handle several tasks for maximum workstation efficiency.
- Must be able to retain information once learned.
- Must interact with other coworkers, internal and external customers with courtesy and respect.
Key Word Search: laboratory, medical