SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
Our Syracuse, NY laboratory is looking for two Laboratory Analysts to join their metals team! The Laboratory Analyst assists the Metals Supervisor in preparation and analysis of environmental and industrial hygiene samples.
The Laboratory Analyst:
- Prepares various types of sample via acid digestion for subsequent metals analysis.
- Analyzes prepared samples by FLAA, GFAA, CVAA and ICP.
- Follows Company and Departmental SOPs to ensure accurate and repeatable reporting of results.
- Adheres to the Quality Assurance Program, documenting and taking corrective action when necessary.
- Successfully completes required training courses and in-house competency testing.
- Notifies and relinquishes samples to a Supervisor if additional expertise is required.
- Adheres to Health & Safety, housekeeping, and instrument calibration and maintenance requirements.
- Periodically analyzes proficiency samples.
- Maintains equipment and instruments as required.
- Performs other technical duties as required by the laboratory supervisor.
- Participates in professional development activities (e.g., publication of papers, active participation in appropriate organizations, attending classes and seminars, etc.)
- Conforms to all applicable policies and procedures of Forensic Analytical.
- Performs any other duties related to this position as may be required by the laboratory supervisor.
- Bachelors degree in a science-related field
- Prior Flame AA and Graphite Furnace AA experience is preferred
- Familiarity with inorganic metals analysis/instrumentation, highly desired!
- Knowledge of EPA, NIOSH and OSHA methodology a plus
- Must be able to perform analytical measurements that are both accurate and precise
- Must have the ability to read and follow documented procedures, SOPs, safety rules, and operating and maintenance instructions
- Knowledge and understanding of basic analytical chemistry principles
- Some analytical thinking and problem-solving skills are a requirement of this position. Must have some understanding of process and workflow.
- Manual dexterity required. Must be able to perform some repetitive tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances and shows respect towards others and towards company principles
- Excellent time management skills which includes the ability to balance multiple projects concurrently (with different deadlines) and arrange the resources necessary to accomplish them
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with LIMS an assets
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks for sustained periods of time
- Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time
- Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position
- Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature
- Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.