SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. It operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.
Our Las Vegas, Nevada laboratory is looking for a Laboratory Supervisor to join their team! The Laboratory Supervisor manages the departments in preparation and analysis of environmental and industrial hygiene samples using polarized light microscopy, phase contrast microscopy and microbiological analyses.
This is a full-time, benefited position at 40 hours per week with the possibility of overtime. The ideal candidate must be available to work Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm and after hours, including some weekends.
- Bachelors degree in a science-related field, preferably Geology (or other physical science) and/or Microbiology. (or other biological science)
- Minimum of two years laboratory experience in the field of microbiology is preferred
- REQUIRED 1 year experience identifying fungi (Non-viable air analysis and Non-viable bulk analysis)
- Experience with bacteria samples (MUG)
- REQUIRED 1 year experience in asbestos identification using polarized light microscopy
- 3+ experience in an ISO accredited laboratory
- Candidate should be detail oriented, organized and able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Great communication skills - both verbal and written are ideal
- Microscope experience required
- Polarized Light Microscope
- Phase Contrast Microscope
- Experience working with a LIMS application
- Knowledge of EPA methods and regulations
- Manual dexterity required. Must be able to perform some repetitive tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Follows Company and Departmental SOPs to ensure accurate and repeatable reporting of results.
- Implement and maintain the quality assurance program as directed by the Quality Assurance Manager (QAM), including corrective action, monitoring the timely completion of QC sample analysis and interlaboratory round robin and other proficiency testing.
- Successfully completes required training courses and in-house competency testing.
- Adheres to Health & Safety, housekeeping, and instrument calibration and maintenance requirements.
- Maintains equipment and instruments as required.
- Conforms to all applicable policies and procedures of the laboratory.
- Coach/ mentor department staff, and oversee technical soundness of work performed
- Provide training and education to department personnel on methods, equipment and theory; guidance regarding techniques, problem solving, methodologies and quality control
- Meet requirements for client service performed by the department, including; consultation with clients, data interpretation, and coordination of support with customer service
- Develop and conduct scientific research projects
- Review data and reports for accuracy, content and adherence to company quality control policies
- Routine consultation with the Laboratory Director and Corporate Quality Assurance Manager to ensure all applicable policies and procedures of the department and company are met
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.