Tower Health is a strong, regional, integrated healthcare provider/payer system that offers leading-edge, compassionate healthcare and wellness services to a population of 2.5 million people. Together, our six hospitals and other entities provide a full range of medical care from prevention, screenings & education; to the latest clinical services and surgeries available; to rehabilitation. We also offer wellness programs & public health services that ensure our communities are the healthiest they can be. Our caring, highly trained physicians and staff are committed to patient safety and patient satisfaction.
With more than 11,000 team members, Tower Health includes Reading Hospital, a teaching hospital based in West Reading; Brandywine Hospital in Coatesville; Chestnut Hill Hospital, a teaching hospital in Philadelphia; Jennersville Hospital in West Grove; Phoenixville Hospital in Phoenixville; and Pottstown Hospital in Pottstown. We also operate Reading Hospital Rehabilitation at Wyomissing & Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences, & we have a comprehensive physician network.
Collaboration across Tower Health enables our hospitals, providers, leadership & staff to leverage best practices across the health system. Our hospitals have received national recognition for advanced care in areas such as neurosurgery and stroke, cardiac & vascular surgery, trauma, hematology & oncology. Reading HealthPlex, which opened at Reading Hospital in October 2016, combines state-of-the-art technology and world-class design to make the HealthPlex one of the most sophisticated surgical centers & inpatient facilities in the region.
At Tower Health, we have a rich history of providing high-quality, cost-effective care in the communities we serve. As the healthcare industry continues to change, one thing remains steadfast: Tower Health’s commitment to Advancing Health, Transforming Lives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the technical oversight of the laboratory
- Must be accessible to the laboratory staff to provide on-site, telephone, or electronic consultation
- Performs laboratory assays in all three phases: pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic to maintain proficiency at the laboratory bench skills
- Verification of the test procedures performed and establishment of the laboratory's test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system
- Recognizes unusual patient results and identifies problems in analytical procedures or systems; responds with appropriate investigation and corrective / preventive actions as needed. Resolves technical problems and ensures that remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications
- Organizes and improves laboratory work flows and processes to maximize efficiency
- Oversees the Laboratory quality control program and assures appropriateness for the testing performed, establishes the parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance, and ensures that these levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process from the initial receipt of the specimen, through sample analysis and reporting of test results
- Maintains and reviews quality control records, monitoring quality control measures and identifying opportunities for quality improvement
- Recognizes and promptly reports any quality control issues to the Laboratory Medical Director or Administrative Director
- Schedules participation in approved proficiency programs, oversees the assignment of proficiency testing activities, and reports results in a timely manner
- Performs activities for inspection-readiness
- Ensures compliance with safety programs and procedures including blood borne pathogens, hazardous chemical waste disposal, and environmental services
- Participates in continuing education activities and maintains records to continue active laboratory accreditation
- Participates in instrumentationn evaluation and method validations
- Assists with financial aspects of the laboratory, e.g. payroll, budget preparation and management, invoice and revenue reconciliation, and inventory management
- Writing and review policies and procedures
- Improving employee, patient, and client satisfaction
- Identifies team training needs and assures that each individual performing testing receives regular in-service training and education appropriate for the type and complexity of the laboratory services performed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate well. Solid computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelors in medical technology, chemical, physical, or biological science AND ≥4 years training/experience in high complexity testing is required.
- Masters in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical, or biological science preferred AND ≥2 years training/experience in high complexity testing is preferred.
- ASCP certification in Clinical Laboratory Science is preferred.