After a 2018 with tremendous success in the West Michigan legal market, Special Counsel anticipates our clients needs growing. With that in mind, we are proactively recruiting for an anticipated need for a Legal Billing Specialist. Candidates with a legal or professional services background are highly sought after. If you are interested keep reading about the responsibilities below.
- Review and analyze existing effectiveness and develop new process strategies
- Adhere to the Accounting Department procedures through good communication and practices while working from a remote location
- Assist with general project management
- Provide direction, development, and implementation of process solutions
- Administers all firm billing procedures for billing functions and develops and implements new billing procedures
- Manages full life-cycle billing and collections relationships and processes for assigned billing assignments; manage pre-bill to final bill process, ensure the accurate and timely processing of time, pre-bills, bills, accounts receivable reports and other pertinent client accounting information
- Collaborates with billing attorneys to establish and manage billing structures, including potential discounts, fee caps, tiered discounts and/or matter budgets and to ensure accounts support both attorney and client specifications
- Maintains the firm’s standard/approved and special billing rates and is responsible for the development and maintenance of bill formats
- Ensures the accuracy of all timekeeper billing rates and the maintenance of any special rate billing arrangements
- Responsible for successful submission and troubleshooting of invoicing process including the setup of new clients
- Communicates directly with clients as requested or established
- Ensures that the firm’s billings comply with all client and third party requirements
- Establishes working relationships with e-billing site vendors, ensure all rates are up-to-date on the sites
- Monitors e-billing sites for inconsistencies with respect to short payments and potential non-payment issues
- Prepare, analyze and review fee budgets as required by partners, clients and others; work with firm management, billing partners and practice management to develop best practices for efficient and effective project management of matters
- Develops analysis and research related to client portfolios, providing detailed documentation, statistics, and recommendations as required
- Responds to inquiries relating to accruals, provide rate analysis, recommend solutions to billing trends, and provide ad hoc reports
- Regularly reviews the billing procedures, recommend and implement changes that save time, labor, and other costs to improve efficiency
- Assists outside offices with implementation of correct billing policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and or a minimum of 5 years’ experience in dedicated billing, collections, or account management.
- Associates degree acceptable if able to demonstrate comparable experience and skill.
- Experience working in a law firm or service industry is strongly preferred.
- Must possess strong technical analysis skills and advanced Excel capabilities.
- Must have working knowledge of automated accounting systems and knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Must possess analytical and critical thinking skills requiring a comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles and practices in order to conduct detailed analysis of billing and collections data.
Please submit your resume asap or, visit our website at www.specialcounsel.com to apply or consider other available opportunities with us.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled