Do you have a solid understanding of the Agricultural industry and how it functions? Do you have at least five years’ experience in distribution with a demonstrated track record in management? Do you have experience creating a culture of safety? If you said yes to these questions, consider a career with Wilbur-Ellis!
For nearly a century, Wilbur-Ellis has experienced success and growth in marketing and distributing agricultural products and services. Join us and grow your career with a strong and profitable industry leader offering competitive compensation, tremendous growth and development opportunities, and a people-first work environment. Come grow with us!
General Purpose and Scope of Position:
The Location Operations Manager directly manages the work and interaction of all employees and support groups within the location. With a focus on safety, compliance, efficient operation, and customer service, the Location Operations Manager oversees all daily functions within a specified location. This would include production plants (fertilizer, manufacturing), warehousing, transportation, dispatch, field services, maintenance, purchasing, administration, employee development, safety programs, and directing all company initiatives within the location. It is the responsibility of the Location Operations Manager to ensure each group operates efficiently to achieve their goals and interacts effectively with the other operation groups within the facility, and partners with the Sales organization and other support groups such as finance, human resources, etc. to achieve site operational goals.
Key Skills and Abilities Include:
- Establish a culture of safety that features respect for fellow employees, the public, and the environment
- Execution of operational activities that include: Order Processing and Accounting practices and procedures, EHS programs, DOT, forecasting tools, location assets, inventory control, product warehousing, product distribution, location production (fertilizer manufacturing), field services scheduling and execution, maintenance and upkeep of location assets
- Have a strong understanding of large site operations and how it functions
- Ability to effectively and clearly communicate direction and strategy to a diverse team
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Deep understanding of operations and operational scheduling, assets, and staffing
- Proficient in data analytics and use of multiple technologies as well as the Microsoft Suite
- Minimum of five years’ experience in operations with a demonstrated track record in people leadership and facility management
Key Personal Attributes Include:
- Ability to lead a broad and diverse group of people. Key skills for this are: listening, ability to influence, managerial courage, and working through processes
- Ability to thrive in a matrix management type of environment by working with sales, finance, human resources, EHSS, etc.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in communications and documentation
- Good interpersonal and team-building skills with a positive attitude
- Ability to establish relationships with location personnel, peers and customers
- Understand and maintains confidentiality
- Skill in managing multiple initiatives and projects simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and make data-driven decisions
- Ability to provide good direction and delegation to department managers and supervisors
Specific Responsibilities and Key Deliverables Include:
- Build, Promote and Sustain the Wilbur-Ellis Safety and Compliance culture
- Oversee all aspects of location operations and support (facilities, equipment, processes)
- Provide daily direction to support group managers and employees
- Provide support to other team members as required to attain location goals
- Prepare annual operating budget process (assets, operations, and staffing) with collaboration from the Sales Department, including capital expense requests. Manage to plan.
- Forecast and order location’s needs and requirements for fertilizer, crop protection, and seed products
- Ensure fertilizer manufacturing/blending is coordinated with location sales needs and in compliance with all regulatory agencies and industry standards.
- Ensure appropriate inventory controls are in place and routine cycle counts are conducted
- Execution of processes across all operational functions to attain Operational Excellence, including asset management, agronomy risk prevention, and property, plant, and equipment oversight.
- Set department and individual goals and objectives that are aligned with the division strategic plan
- As part of an overall performance management plan, provide daily direction, coaching, and feedback to direct reports
- Maintain accurate job descriptions for facility roles
- Establish annual goals for all direct reports
- Ensure that all direct reports are properly trained in their necessary duties and suggest training to improve required job skills
- Ensure training needs for operational personnel are scheduled and completed
- Ensure annual employee performance assessments of all affected team members
- Recruit, assess and hire new employees as required
- Address poor performance with progressive discipline and use of performance improvement plans
- Develop and coach direct reports
- Promote a positive work environment and overall employee morale
- Present a professional image through overall facility upkeep and cleanliness
- Lead and implement corporate-level EHSS and other initiatives at the location
- Other duties as required and assigned
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive annual salary (to be determined based on experience and other factors)
- Benefits package (medical, dental, vision, 401k, Employee Assistance Program, vacation, sick time, life insurance, + more); Pension Plan, 401k match up to 3%
- Drug-Free Workplace
- Company Provided vehicle
If you are currently a Wilbur-Ellis employee, please notify your Manager prior to applying for this position. Thank you!
Wilbur-Ellis is a company you can be proud to call your employer
Wilbur-Ellis markets and distributes agricultural products, animal feed, and specialty chemicals and food ingredients. A privately held and consistently profitable company, we employ more than 4,000 people throughout North America and Asia-Pacific.
Wilbur-Ellis is for and about people
Wilbur-Ellis has enjoyed over ninety-three years of success and growth, all thanks to our people. Our employees are both leaders and team players who thrive on creativity, entrepreneurial spirit, and a dedication to quality work, our customers, and each other.
Wilbur-Ellis invests in the industry’s best workforce
Wilbur-Ellis invests heavily in our employees by offering skill development and training, competitive compensation and benefits, and a tradition of promoting from within for a broad range of career opportunities. And we foster a supportive, people-first work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)