Greif offers a great working environment and the opportunity to make an immediate impact at a company where your ideas are always welcome.
Job Requisition #:030219 MILL Boiler Operator (Open)
Location: Tacoma, WA
The Boiler Operator works closely with the production crew to adjust the steam systems per operation demands. The Boiler Operator’s primary responsibility is to manage the safe and efficient operation of the Boiler Room, and to ensure the steam and condensate systems are functioning properly while meeting production demands. Frequent communication with the production crew is essential. This work is primarily located, but not limited to the Boiler Room.
Main job duties are as follows:
- Safely operate the boilers, steam, condensate and water make up systems to minimize waste and maximize efficiency.
- Maintain, and troubleshoot the entire steam, condensate and make up water systems. This includes all steam and condensate flows, valves, pumps, and controls. Specific areas to be monitored on a continuous basis including boilers (water level and operation), DA tank, feed water pumps, chemical feed system, water softener, dryers, turbine, and line shaft operation.
- On startups operate the steam turbine and dryers. Closely monitor boilers, steam and condensate systems and take appropriate corrective actions as needed - until all those systems are stabilized.
- Perform all necessary paper work, and maintain the log book.
- Perform water chemistry tests every day shift.
- Blow down the gauge glass and test the Low water cut-off system every day while the boilers operate. Perform a bottom blow-down once per shift.
- Monitor the automated surface blow down operation.
- Take and record necessary readings at the beginning of every shift.
- Maintain all chart recorders, and change them out at the beginning of day shift.
- Items that need attention every shift include chemical pumps and tanks, condensate pumps, and sump pumps. Items that need attention on a weekly basis include greasing and oiling feed water pumps, sounding of oil tanks.
- Housekeeping responsibilities include all work areas, specifically at all Boiler room related equipment, boiler room floor (swept once per shift), and associated steam support areas.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Class #2 Boiler License with City of Tacoma certification, or a Class #3 Boiler License plus 3 or more years of experience and the ability to receive a Class 2 license within one year of the original hire date.
- Maintenance skills such as welding, pipe fitting and electrical experience are a plus.
- Industrial work experience is a plus.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity for growth. Greif, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, gender, religion, age, national origin, color, disability, or veteran status. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran. For more information read Greif’s Equal Opportunity Policy.