The packaging production line Machine Operator performs a variety of functions including but not limited to the operation of high speed packaging equipment, completion of daily production and/or QA paperwork. Ensures work is completed in a safe manner and within the quality parameters established.Core Responsibilities
- Responsible for safe operation of packaging production line(s) to deliver a product that meets the customers’ expectations. Follows Safety and Quality Assurance rules and procedures.
- Sets packaging machine to appropriate specifications as found in computer or specification logs, and ensures production line has appropriate equipment, configuration, and materials such as x-ray machines, adequate conveyor adjustments, correct packaging film
- Inspects equipment for safety and use by all equipment employees.
- Sets up scales, Checkweigher and metal detector correctly and monitors their operation during shift
- Ensures daily production is ran according to sequence stated in the batch cards
- Operates laptop computer to produce labels or placards for each run
- Ensures lot numbers from packaging materials and blended product are recorded on batch card
- Ensures packaging machine is filled with appropriate finished blends
- Ensures correct packaging materials are used for each product, in accordance to specifications, and replenishes materials as needed (i.e. roll of film, labels)
- Ensures that all packaged product goes through metal detector
- Performs net weight checks
- Performs packaging integrity checks and labeling checks
- Ensures appropriate pattern and count is followed by all Packers who palletize product
- Follow allergen control procedures
- Performs machine wash between production change-overs and validates proper cleanliness by following specific change-over procedures
- Retools equipment during changeovers
- Follows GMPs & Safety rules and policies
- Participates in job rotation in assigned line to support Packers as necessary
- Moves packaging materials and supplies to production line as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School or an equivalent combination of education preferred, a combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of High School or equivalent Diploma.
- Knowledge and experience in Food Industry is a plus but not necessary.
- Previous experience with GMPs and other Food Safety and Quality requirements preferred.
- Ability to follow Safety Rules and requirements when working in dangerous areas or with power equipment
- Ability to learn to accurately read and understand batch cards
- Ability to use a calculator to perform basic math equations for precision measurements
- Ability to work from written and/or verbal instructions
- Ability to work with others and as a team
- Ability to learn while training with an experienced Packaging Machine Operator
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to safely lift a minimum of 10 lbs., and up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to climb stairs occasionally during the shift
- Ability to bend, stoop, push, pull, grasp, reach, kneel, twist frequently during the shift
- Ability to walk frequently within department, and ability to stand during the entire production shift
- Ability to use a utility knife safely that will be provided by the company
- Must have visual acuity to perceive difference in color, and to operate machinery
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work indoors in a mixing production facility and to be exposed to the smell and dust of different raw spices as these are being blended into commercial formulas.
- Packaging high speed production line/equipment. Lift for role of film, pallet jack, laptop and label printer, tools to retool production line during change-overs, personal protective equipment as indicated for each area and product.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits