This job description indicates the nature of production work routinely performed by production employees at the Smithfield plant. This description is meant to help individuals who may be unfamiliar with food processing and what is required to perform this type of work.Production employees are routinely required to perform a variety of tasks that require manual material handling and the use of hand tools, knives, machinery, and equipment. This work is physically demanding and can require the use of some or all body parts and muscle groups. Good hand-eye coordination and upper extremity motor skills are essential for most job tasks. Additional essential functions may be applicable to specific jobs.Core Responsibilities
- Essential Work Postures, Movements, Lifting, and Carrying
- Continuous standing in one location for long periods (up to 2-3 hours before break). Many jobs have fixed workstation locations and are conveyor line paced.
- Walking long distances sometimes on wet, uneven and slippery surfaces.
- Climbing or moving on ladders, steps, stairwells, walkways, and platforms.
- Carrying, lifting, lowering, pushing and pulling of heavy and or awkward objects or loads. Lifting and lowering of objects up to 60 lbs. Pushing or pulling of heavy roller carts, bins, or transport containers.
- Working in cold environment 20-45 deg F, hot environment exceeding 100 deg F and frequent contact with animal fats.
- Wearing, using and maintaining personal protective equipment. Using, cleaning, maintaining, and safe handling of sharp cutting tools.
- Frequent static and /or awkward work postures with neck and spine flexion while grasping, pinching, pulling, lifting, extending, flexing the hands and arms to perform tasks. A variety of arm and hand movements are required in applying force, movement and repetition.
- Using and maintaining a variety of knives, hand tools, powered tools and equipment, electrical devices, controls, and motorized vehicles.
- Being able to understand and follow oral and written instruction from supervisors and designated staff.
- Additional essential functions may be applicable to specific jobs.
- Must be able to continuously lift 40 lbs.
- Able to drive motor truck.
- Must be able to fill in for line workers as needed.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be able to do other duties as assigned by Supervisors and Leads.
Must be able to complete paperwork.
Ability to operate and make adjustments to loader as needed.
Knowledgeable and able to lockout machine.
Ability to follow schedule and ensure employees know what labels, boxes and bags to use.
Be able to set up line.
Must be able to check and setup metal detector; able to set up ADC labeler.
- Competent and trustworthy to comply with federal inspection programs and company safety and health policies.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Be available to work scheduled hours, which may include mandatory overtime, depending upon production demands.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits