Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Machine Shop Supervisor who will have the primary responsibility for managing the day-to-day operations of the Battelle Machine Shop. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
- Accomplishes objectives through direct supervision of the work of machine shop staff. Assigns, schedules, monitors, and reviews work for timeliness, cost effectiveness, and quality.
- Maintains direct customer contact to ensure that fabrication and assembly of parts are consistent with the customers’ needs. Utilizes information provided by the customer to provide cost and time estimates to complete the work.
- Oversees final quality inspections to ensure that the parts are consistent with the customers’ needs and determines the appropriate means to fabricate parts.
- Determines material requirements and purchases materials. Maintains all purchasing records.
- Assists in the development and use of CAD/CAM software applications. Trains and mentors other machinists as requested.
- Works with mechanical designers and engineers to meet design specifications and provide input for improved manufacturing methods.
- Maintains accurate drawing records for changes and upgrades.
- Maintains metrics for safety, quality, on time delivery, cost vs. quote.
- Generates route sheet including work center, material required, outside processes.
- Generates quotes based on a variety of methods from concept to full drawing package.
- Determines vendors and submits request for quote (RFQ) for required outside processes.
- Oversees all job-related timekeeping and costing procedures. Responsible for invoicing procedures and arranges vender invoice payments.
- Oversees the equipment for the machine shop including maintaining maintenance and/or replacement schedules.
- Makes recommendations regarding equipment needs for the machine shop including upgrades and new equipment.
- Implements and supports ISO 9001:2008 Quality system transition and sustainment.
- Must be a US person with ability to obtain/maintain a government sercuirty clearence.
- 10+ years of related on the job machine shop experience with 3+ years of machine shop supervisor experience.
- Associate’s degree in applied science or equivalent experience.
- Machining/manufacturing background with mechanical aptitude.
- Familiar with CNC machinery and CAD/CAM knowledge.
- Ability to conduct complex detail drawing, reading, and evaluation, and the ability to interpret detail drawings that utilize GD&T.
- Ability to quote machining and fabrication jobs.
- Familiar with basic Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong verbal, written and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a team player with minimal supervision of required tasks.
- Experience working on a manufacturing team with machinists and engineers.
- Able to acquire and maintain a government security clearance.
- 5+ years of machine shop supervisor experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in applied science or equivalent experience.
- ERP application experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers