Are you an ambitious, multi-tasker who can solve problems in a fast-paced environment that loves BACON? Then you should join us in growing one of America’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
The Supply Chain team is looking for motivated professionals to facilitate the distribution of our great products to customers and consumers. These personnel can analyze production metrics against market needs in Supply & Demand Planning, focus on product transportation through Logistics, or ensure the shelves of your local grocery store are stocked by Direct Store Delivery.
The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for overall leadership and direction of all corrective, preventative and predictive mechanical, instrumentation and control maintenance for the safe, efficient and reliable operation of the facility. Leads a team of maintenance supervisors and a maintenance planner in the installation, maintenance and repair of facility tools, machines and equipment.Core Responsibilities
- Responsible for daily leadership and organization of the maintenance team by managing the preventative/predictive/corrective maintenance systems to optimize equipment reliability, prioritizing maintenance requests, overseeing facility inventory management and ensuring cost effective maintenance services.
- Establish strategic priorities by partnering with operations, finance, production, safety, engineering and other departments.
- Coach, train, counsel and manage performance of direct reports. Assist direct reports in managing crew performance.
- Plan, budget, and oversee execution of facility repairs, modifications, installations and capital improvements.
- Assure that all maintenance employees are knowledgeable of governmental, corporate and plant policies, procedures, including USDA, GMP, HACCP, OSHA, and EPA, and that adherence is enforced.
- Actively manage cost control processes to drive down costs and improve operational and quality control efficiencies throughout the plant.
- Responsible for creation and execution of DC sustainability goals.
- Lead the development of HAZMAT team, implementation of Process Safety Management for the DC; team up with other facility leadership to develop and implement emergency shutdown and evacuation procedures.
- Interact with and maintain working partnerships with employees, vendors, and contractors within the DC.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 5+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master's Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Management experience in the meat industry preferred. PE or PMP certification a plus.
- Prior experience with USDA regulations, anhydrous ammonia refrigeration systems, OSHA, HACCP, and GMP are required.
- Hazmat certification a plus.
- Bilingual Spanish is desirable.
- Software skills: Prior experience using computerized maintenance software, Microsoft office applications required. SAP experience is preferred.
- Technical Skills: Expertise in leading others in the maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of systems and equipment.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and set performance expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong inter-personal skills, including verbal and written communication skills. Strong sense of urgency. Exhibits strong judgment and decision-making skills.
- Occasional overnight travel to other company facilities, or travel for training/meetings.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the distribution center. The DC environment will include extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical equipment such as forklifts/hi-lifts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the loading areas.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits