- High School Diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) and a minimum of four (4) years of post-high school training in mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, or related maintenance disciplines
- Four (4) years of elevator industry experience in maintenance, construction, service, engineering or modernization.
- Must acquire within twelve (12) months of hire, National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) QEI-1 certification or equivalent certification recognized in District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia jurisdictions
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from the jurisdiction of residence
- Vertical transportation equipment training
- Experience in the maintenance, repair, and inspection of elevator and/or escalator equipment
- National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) QEI-1 certification or equivalent certification recognized in District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia jurisdiction
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Maintenance Supervisor (Elevator/Escalator) is a skilled technical maintenance supervision role of a complex nature. The incumbent is responsible for supervision of elevator and escalator mechanics and for effective and efficient testing, diagnosis, problem identification and problem resolution relating to elevators and escalators.
- Supervises personnel, inspects scheduled and unscheduled maintenance of elevator and escalator repair work. Ensures quality of workmanship, completeness, and compliance with specifications, engineering orders, escalator/elevator codes, layouts and standard maintenance procedures. Prepares accurate and concise oral/written reports on the findings, deficiencies and recommendations for corrective actions, to ensure preventive, scheduled and corrective maintenance is executed safely and efficiently.
- Supervises subordinates which includes recommending applicant selection, disciplinary actions, effective resolution of grievances, assigning duties, directing work, approving leave requests and timesheets, and ensuring effective and appropriate subordinate training is provided. Guarantees properly skilled employees are obtained and retained.
- Responds in a timely manner to elevator and escalator accidents, critical equipment outages, and electrical equipment shock reported during and outside of normal working hours. Conducts investigations and provides timely written reports of the investigations ensuring safety and alignment with WMATA's performance goals.
- Directs and works with contractors, ensuring adherence to maintenance procedures including but not limited to monitoring technical code adherence, contract worker performance and quality of work.
- Operates Authority vehicle between work locations to perform job duties as required .
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.