Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Lab Technician you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, Lab Technicians play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
• Oversees and supervises blood bank and donor center staff and is responsible for personnel related functions (recruit, hire/fire, performance management, training and competency) and ensuring personnel follows all standard operating procedures.
• Oversees donor center staff and all donor collection operations and associated functions, processes, and procedures related to the collection and manufacture of blood products through the Regional Medical Center Hospital Donor room.
• Accountable for quality and quantity of specimens handled and test results in blood bank operations in accordance with standard laboratory operating procedures and regulatory requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for staffing the department across three shifts based on hours of operations and technical or workflow requirements of the department.; distributes, assigns and reviews work; determines priorities and schedules non-routine procedures.
2. Ensures technical and all other test systems are operational to meet manufacturer and accrediting agencies guidelines and standards. Ensures timeliness, accuracy, and quality of results and work produced from the department.
3. Ensures technical competency of staff – timely orientation, training, and competency documentation.
4. Assesses equipment, automation or other methodology or testing needs of the department. Responsible for completion and documentation of all daily, weekly, or monthly equipment maintenance.
5. Ensures staff has access and appropriate training on department LIS and other information technology to perform job and facilitates the resolution of information technology issues in the department.
6. Monitors appropriate HIPPA compliance, internet and email usage per policy and procedure.
7. Develops and monitors department quality indicators to address pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical phases of the overall laboratory quality program. Participates in quality assurance and process improvement projects or teams as needed.
8. Responsible for compliance with performance of quality control of reagents and monitors quality of work for adherence to laboratory standards.
9. Ensures review of quality control is completed and documented per daily, weekly, or monthly requirements.
10. Responsible for compliance with all requirements for proficiency testing in accordance with the laboratory’s quality program and standard operating procedures.
11. Responsible for critical oversight and management to maintain inspection readiness of Blood Bank including a FDA certified donor room for inspections by FDA, AABB, Joint Commission, CLIA or CAP.
12. Supports organizational decisions and communicates them to staff appropriately and timely. Ensures effective communication.
13. Prepares, justifies, and presents employee performance appraisals or follow up in timely manner; performs personnel performance management in timely manner with prompt follow up; ensures thorough documentation supports actions.
14. Responsible for staff compliance with policies and procedures for attendance; monitors attendance and punctuality.
15. Track, documents, and conferences employees according to Performance Management guidelines; performs personnel performance management in timely manner with prompt, timely follow up and ensures thorough documentation.
16. Monitors and coaches employees with focus for improvement and development of performance and knowledge in their field.
17. Verifies and completes payroll in Workforce Central
18. Financial responsibility to include use of financial measures to manage staff and control overtime; monitors expenditures and resources to ensure that spending is within reason and budget guidelines; and monitors hospital and Quest financial reports for outliers.
19. Responsible for staff training and oversight of the Donor Management computer system to ensure software updates are current for providing and obtaining pre-qualification donor questionnaire information in a secure database.
20. Performs duties of technologist as necessitated by absence or peak workload. Performs advanced specialized tests and other related laboratory techniques; may duplicate work of others to confirm test results, re-evaluate methodology, recommend changes and assist in test interpretation.
21. Completes special projects as requested, e.g. surveys, statistical reports, studies, research, etc.
22. Participates in hospital transfusion committees and various additional committees related to blood transfusion and appropriateness of blood orders.
23. Responsible for routine review and approval(s) for all department policies and standard operating procedures.
24. Evaluates, in conjunction with the pathologist and lab administrative director, new technology or methodologies based on need, medical staff requests, or strategic planning for the hospital or expansion of the laboratory services.
25. Recognizes employees’ personal and team efforts in timely manner – celebrates their efforts and accomplishments. Tracks departmental recognition efforts using hospital or Quest Diagnostics programs.
26. Contributes to the formation of department goals and objectives to support the overall goals and mission of Quest Diagnostics and The Regional Medical Center.
Blood Bank and Donor Center personnel including Medical Technologists (MT)/Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), Medical or Clinical Laboratory Specialists (MLS/CLS) and support personnel.
Education: • Bachelor's degree in life sciences required. Master’s degree preferred.
Work Experience: • Minimum of 8 years laboratory experience with at least 4 years of direct supervisory experience in the clinical or anatomical pathology laboratory.
• 4-6 years of blood bank experience; Blood Donor Center experience preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements: • Routinely able to lift up to 25 pounds, sitting or standing for long periods of time.
Technical Training or Professional Licensing • MT (ASCP) or MLS (ASCP)
• SBB certification preferred