Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Manager, IT Infrastructure Delivery at our Tysons, Virginia location. The primary purpose of this position is to lead the Cloud Services and Infrastructure Delivery. The Manager, IT Infrastructure Delivery will manage shipping complex, cross-functional projects under demanding timelines. This role is not task-based but will be responsible for successful outcomes and delivery. This position will drive projects associated with business and engineering for cloud services (Amazon, Azure, Google), servers, storage, network, database, and related applications. To achieve on-time delivery, this role has end-to-end responsibility for the success of business and IT infrastructure projects, including demand management, workload harmonization, escalation management and leading cross-functional teams.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Manage IT infrastructure delivery for all business projects.
- Work as the highest-level technical manager for cloud infrastructure. Act as an internal consultant and architect for the IT Engineering and Operations Management.
- Partner with IT architecture team and management to design, implement, maintain, and create strategies, roadmaps, solutions, infrastructure standards, and processes.
- Accountable for design, development, and implementation of AWS (VPC, IAM, AMI, S3, API Gateway, ELB, RDS, SQS, SNS, Route53, Transit Gateway etc.) and other could technologies.
- Accountable for delivery of the Design, implement, and evaluate current and future infrastructure initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance.
- Resolve and isolate complex problems involving cloud services, applications, operating systems, hardware, communications infrastructure, or any combination of these.
- Assist management and engineering staff in the evaluation, analysis, architecture, design, and implementation of enterprise infrastructure and application programs and projects.
- Accountable for development and implementation of engineering standards and processes.
- Research, analyze, evaluate, and provide recommendations to management on future technology direction.
- Perform review on complex change implementations, to ensure completeness of approach along with zero impact to members unless properly coordinated.
- Proactively identify solutions to potential infrastructure issues / embrace simplification.
- Serve as escalation point for high severity issues and troubleshoot / resolve complex infrastructure related incidents.
- Lead problem management and root cause analysis discussions with the team.
- Aid and expertise to management on improvements to company productivity, systems performance, high availability, monitoring, and operational costs.
- Maintain close relations with vendors and resellers. Assist management in maintaining service agreements, maintenance contracts, or other assigned vendor related administrative duties.
- Maintain quality services by establishing and enforcing division processes and standards.
- Define support processes and ensure reliable operations support.
- Participate in incident management activities.
- Coordinate timetables with the business unit stakeholders and other IT teams.
- Assess provided services by conducting system audits and reviewing established metrics.
- Implement disaster recovery and back-up procedures, participate in required exercises, and reinforce existing information security and control structures.
- Forecast demand for services, prepare an annual budget; schedule expenditures, analyze variances and corrective action.
- Manage multiple complex IT projects.
- Participate in the development of, and ensures compliance with, IT division technology and security standards, governance processes, and performance metrics to ensure IT delivers value and security to the enterprise.
- Monitor production, outputs, and services to ensure that SLAs, and other IT division quality metrics, are met.
- Build and manage high-performing infrastructure teams and resources.
- Ensure staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives.
- Meet regularly with direct reports and provide guidance, encouragement, and constructive feedback to ensure high employee engagement.
- Work with the team to gather work statuses and discuss progress and obstacles.
- Promote culture of high-performance, continuous improvement, commitment to quality and accountability.
- Establish measurable individual and team objectives that are aligned with PenFed IT division organizational goals.
- Document and present performance assessments.
- Applies or blends traditional and Agile project management styles to balance stability with speed.
- Proactively manages risks and issues, removes roadblocks, and obtains necessary resources.
- Ensure timely communication on project status, deliverables, issues, and risks to stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure delivery plans including budgets, processes, tools, staffing and chargeback mechanisms.
- Identify and deliver innovative technology solutions that deliver business value and improve delivery experience.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with infrastructure engineering and development teams that will help facilitate effective communication of business needs and delivery.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field required.
- In lieu of a degree, combination of education and a minimum of eight (8) years of related work experience is required that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to perform all the essential job functions.
- Minimum of three to five (3-5) years of supervisory or assistant management leadership responsibility in managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders.
- Powerful analytical and problem-solving skills- including the ability to develop solutions in new and creative ways.
- Minimum seven (7) years hands-on experience in the design, development, and implementation in AWS cloud environment (VPC, IAM, AMI, S3, EC2, ELB, RDS, SQS, SNS, Route53 etc.) using emerging cloud technologies.
- Experience deploying and supporting medium to large IaaS, PaaS environments.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Linux systems administration. Understand AWS/Azure architectural best practices as well as experience in the use of, programming/Scripting languages and Cloud Security.
- Experience with code repositories such as GitHub preferred, experience with monitoring tools such as CloudWatch, Dynatrace, DevOps tools and continuous pipeline in required.
- Solid experience with Infrastructure as Code/automation technologies.
- Professional understanding of foundational Enterprise Architecture, Cloud, Network, Security, Data, and Audit principles and practices required.
Ability to translate business needs into requirements.
- Strong leadership capability, executing as appropriate in the areas of responsibility
- Expert knowledge of current and emerging technologies, technology directions and strategic application to business needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building.
- Exceptional project management skills, including the ability to effectively deploy resources and manage multiple projects of diverse scopes in a cross-functional environment.
- Agile and DevOps culture, methodologies and certifications are a plus.
- Strong technical proficiency in network and server architecture and development.
- Strong facilitations skills (requirements sessions, design meetings, progress, and status meetings).
- Prior experience deploying large-scale services.
- This position will supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
- AWS Associate and Professional certifications preferred
- Others related professional certifications is a plus
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds. *
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call is required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.