- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Transportation, Civil, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- In lieu of the bachelor's degree, a High School Diploma or GED and four (4) years of relevant work experience may be considered
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in conducting investigations in a highly regulated industrial, manufacturing or public transportation environment
- Transit Safety and Security Program (TSSP) Certificate
- Roadway Worker Protection (RWP) Level 4 certification
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Manager, Incident Investigation is responsible for the oversight of incident investigations and completing the administrative portion of investigations in the Safety Management System (SMS) within the respective operational offices (Support Services - SSRV, Rail Services - RAIL, and Bus Services - BUSV). In addition, this position is required to evaluate maintenance operations, programs and procedures. The incumbent performs a variety of complex administrative, operational and analytical duties in support of department or office activities; performs trend analysis to identify incident root causes to identify mitigation strategies to prevent reoccurrences, coordinates project activities with Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)'s departments, offices and external organizations and coordinates all activities related to personnel action.
- Interfaces with the Department of Safety & Environmental Management (SAFE), the Office of Labor Relations (LABR) and the Department of Human Resources (HR) when investigating incidents and to determine root causes and the appropriate administrative action to prevent reoccurrence.
- Provides regular status reports to the Director, Assistant Director, and Superintendents regarding incident investigations and trend analysis. Represents the Office Director in senior and executive management meetings to brief leadership on incidents and safety programs.
- Conducts thorough investigations when incidents occur. Responsible for completing SMS process, researches timekeeping system as needed to determine if fatigue was a contributing factor, recommends and develops corrective action plans, determines and administers appropriate administrative action.
- Responsible for recommending disciplinary actions and participates in the grievance process. Ensures effective coordination of activities between branches within the respective office of WMATA.
- Participates in and performs special office projects involving incident reduction. Responsible for responding to the scene of incidents on various shifts (24/7) as needed. Responds to and assists during severe weather emergencies.
- Attends and passes the required training classes and continuously learns best practices for working safely and efficiently.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.