Manager, Tax Controversy and Planning
The role is responsible for managing all of Quest’s audits at the state, local, federal and international levels. The role is responsible for developing and maintaining an audit defense strategy and applying it holistically across all relevant jurisdictions. The person in this role will also be expected to align the audit defense strategy with any planning initiatives being implemented by Quest.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Oversight of all audits – including communicating with tax authorities, answering IDRs and meeting with various auditors/inspectors when required.
• Ensuring proper sign off procedure is followed for all submissions to any tax authority.
• Maintaining and updating the tax audit log.
• Driving results by closing audits and reducing historic FIN 48 reserves.
• Working closely with the Senior Directors to ensure alignment with any planning initiatives.
• Work closely with tax team members to manage federal, state and international audit function.
• Prepare and coordinate responses to information document requests and other similar inquiries from tax authorities.
• Perform and document tax research and analysis related to complex tax issues and assist on special projects, as needed.
• Participate in state income tax planning, specifically advising on state audit considerations and risks, as well as audit documentation requirements.
• Include affirmative tax filing positions in current audits to secure refunds or offset assessments.
• Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders as well as external advisors to ensure complete and timely flow of information and resolution of tax audits.
• Coordinate with SMEs to consider impact of legislative and other relevant changes to tax audits; and
• Develop strong working relationships among cross-functional teams, including Legal, Accounting, HR, and other teams.
• Model and quantity potential tax risk associated with audit items and review, document and recommend FIN 48 reserves.
• Maintain appropriate documentation to support audit files.
• Communicate audit settlement and prospective filing position to appropriate members of the tax team.
• Provide senior management with regular updates on the status of all tax audits, tax protests/appeals and potential audit litigation issues and appeals.
• 7+ years of experience in tax, finance or a related analytical field.
• 7+ years of corporate tax experience with a public accounting firm, major law firm, government tax authority and/or in industry, preferably a multinational corporation.
• BA/BS Degree.
• CPA, or other professional certification a plus.
• JD, LLM and/or Masters in Tax a plus.
• Project management experience.
• Direct experience in tax controversy.
• Experience in the area of U.S. federal and state taxation.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and appropriately prioritize responsibilities.
• Detail oriented, highly organized, and self-motivated.
• Effective interpersonal skills, including persuasive written and oral communication skills.