Look for more than answers.
At Quest, we are on a continuous journey of discovery and development. It’s this attitude that has made us an industry leader and the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. For those joining us, we offer exciting and fast-moving career opportunities where you can affect change at a rate unheard of in many organizations of our size and scope. While we invest in and develop technology to drive our innovations, our ongoing success relies on our people.
As a Mass Spectrometry Scientist, you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge.
This professional will work on-site at the Quest Diagnostics in Wood Dale, IL.
Mass Spectrometry Scientist, the role:
The Mass Spectrometry Scientist will manage analytical projects in R & D. This professional supervises projects from the assay design, validation and implementation; in addition, this professional manages special projects in R & D, and operates as a technical consultant in maintaining current testing reliability including diagnosing test failures and implementing corrective action. The Mass Spectrometry Scientist assists the Technical Director in the development and maintenance of the R & D Department, and actively supports and complies with all company and departmental policies and procedures.
Coordinates and provides bench level supervision of projects for R&D using HPLC, GC-FID, GC/MS, LC-MS/MS, and ICP/MS techniques as directed by the Technical Director.
- Coordinates the implementation of new procedures within the department and with other support departments.
- Performs statistical analysis and validation of new methods. Provides written summaries of work to be used for method documentation.
- Trains staff in new methods both in technical and instrumental aspects.
- Maintains present testing reliability including diagnosing test failures (instrumental and chemical) and implementing corrective action.
- Provides technical understanding of analytical techniques with particular emphasis on instrumental methods of analysis.
- Manages special projects in Toxicology with the duties of coordination of resources and personnel.
- Serves as a resource for HPLC, GC, GC/MS and LC-MS/MS related questions.
- Responsible for informing the appropriate supervisor of all problems associated with the proper performance of test procedures.
- Maintains accurate records of all corrective and preventive maintenance to satisfy to licensing requirement.
- May assist in preparing articles and reports for publication or presentation at scientific meetings or to customers.
- May attend technical conferences or seminars. Reads literature in area of specialization to enhance awareness of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures.
- Actively supports and complies with laboratory policies and procedures.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 6+ years of extensive industrial experience and significant demonstration of capabilities for a candidate with a Bachelor's degree, at least 2-4 years of relevant industrial experience with a Master's degree, or a Ph.D.
- Experience in CLIA regulated clinical laboratory is a plus.
- Experience conducting high-throughput experiments using automated liquid-handling platforms.
- Extensive experience in following analytical techniques, HPLC, Gas Chromatography, GC/MS, LC-MS/MS, and ICP/MS.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as professional journals, operating instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write complete reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to problem-solving situations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance and correlation techniques.
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Citizenship.