Master diesel technicians are tasked with repairing the most challenging and time-sensitive problems that vehicles have when they arrive at the service department. Master diesel technicians also may spend much of their time diagnosing and repairing unusual problems, rather than conducting more routine vehicle service or simple repairs.
The duties of a master diesel technician include:
- Confer with customers or service advisors to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems, and to discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements
- Examine vehicles to determine wear and extent of damage or malfunctions
- Assist in recruiting and hiring qualified service technicians as well as assisting technicians with their skills, providing technical support when needed and monitoring performance and productivity
- Test and adjust repaired systems to meet manufacturers' performance specifications
- Ensure the shop is in excellent condition in regard to cleanliness, safety, and equipment condition, and conducting periodic spot checks to maintain high-quality service
- Test-driving vehicles, and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges and computerized diagnostic devices