The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Material Handler will use material handling equipment and the warehouse management system to build pallets of product for shipment, receive product into the warehouse, put away product in the fill locations and replenish product into slots.
These positions will require work on Saturdays and Sundays. Night shift hours are 7pm to 530am. Day shift hours are 7am to 530pm, four days per week. Some overtime opportunities are available as well.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Safely and efficiently utilize warehouse material handling equipment
- Utilize RF units and pick tickets, and receiving documentation
- Build stable, well-built and accurate pallet loads for shipment
- Ensure item pick accuracy and safety of product to prevent damage
- Understand pallet layers, heights, and counting methods used when working with pallets of product
- Read and understand product descriptions, packaging and pick ticket messages
- Consistently meet established company production and service level standards
- Utilize good housekeeping processes
- Utilize effective food safety measures
- Utilize warehouse processes to minimize damage and other areas of waste
- Inform supervisor of any differences in case quantity and/or product description
- Wrap the pallet by circling load with roll of plastic wrap until secure
- Housekeeping during and at the end of shifts
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or or general education degree (GED) required.
- Previous experience in a warehouse or with heavy lifting preferred
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds continually during shift
- Ability to consistently meet minimum production standards and company service levels
- Must obtain proper powered industrial truck certifications during initial training phase
- Ability to understand and follow both written and verbal instructions
- Ability to operate pallet jack and other required materials handling equipment (MHE)
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The DC environment will include extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical equipment such as forklifts/hi-lifts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the loading areas.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits