- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and completion of Low Voltage apprentice program.
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience working in the Low voltage Electrical equipment repair field
- Possession of a valid driver license from jurisdiction of residence
- Active Journeyman's or Master electrical license in MD, DC, or VA jurisdiction
- Ability to obtain RWP certification level 2 immediately after hire, and level 4 one year after obtaining level 2.
- Completion of IBEW apprenticeship programs
- CDL permit
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Mechanic AA (Electrician Power/Low Voltage) is a technical electrical maintenance position. The incumbent locates system malfunctions and performs duties that include: inspections, installations, adjustments, testing, troubleshooting, and repairing low voltage electrical equipment in all facilities owned by WMATA. All assignments require a thorough understanding of electrical components, schematic diagrams, manufacturer's specifications, equipment manuals, and National Electrical Code guidelines.
- Performs routine installations, maintenance, inspections and repairs on all WMATA low voltage electrical equipment, following the NEC code guide lines and manufactures specifications.
- Performs schedule and unscheduled maintenance work using the correct tools and test equipment as required to maintain low voltage electrical equipment in an operational readiness state. Completes inspection reports and forwards results to supervisor.
- Evaluates condition of equipment and makes independent decisions based on advanced knowledge of low voltage electrical theories and principles.
- Performs new electrical construction installations in WMATA facilities, including transformers, power transfer switches, electrical panels, conduits, breakers, pumps, motors and generators when required.
- Performs routine maintenance, on all interior and exterior lighting. Troubleshoots above and below ground circuits removing and replacing wires and conduits as necessary. Removes and replaces various types of lighting fixtures and controls. Calibrates and adjusts lighting equipment and controls such as timers, photo cells and lighting control panels.
- Works various assigned shifts based on a seven-day, 24-hour coverage schedule to include holidays and weekends. Assistants other departments with requests for installation of electrical equipment and components as directed by supervisor.
- Operates Authority vehicles between work locations, as required, to respond to required service locations.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.