Mechanical Design Engineer
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Installation Products provide customers with engineered installation and safety solutions, which are easier to design, install and maintain - providing sustainable and superior performance for continuous operation throughout their life span.
Our engineers and scientists develop breakthrough technologies that change the way the world works, and industries do business. We constantly push the limits of convention, while retaining our focus on delivering solid returns for our customers and shareholders.
As a key member of our Sustaining Engineering team, you will utilize your broad mechanical engineering experience responding to Engineering Service Requests (ESR’s) which includes reviewing customer specifications, drawings and requirements and developing, designing, and testing of new and alternative product design solutions. Reporting to the Sustaining Engineering Manager, you will have responsibility for understanding the application and functionality of the products, and applicable requirements and agency standards of the products.
- Perform various engineering tasks involving such functions as analysis, design, development, test, installation and service, while working from instructions, drawings, proposals, specifications, and other pertinent information
- Conduct failure and root cause analysis, perform product testing, provide documentation updates and oversee certification listings in support of product sustaining activities
- Perform engineering documentation and control activities for drawings, BOMs, label artwork, instruction sheets, technical data sheet creation and modification, and ECNs utilizing a global life cycle management system (GPLM).
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional departments and team members including Product Management, Supply Chain Management, Technical Services, Operations, and Quality Control
- Prepare specifications and related documents in accordance with requirements, established formats and general instructions; Review and analyze a variety of engineering data, documents, and reports
- Responsible for ensuring that specified engineering criteria are suitable for the proposed application, and recommend appropriate design revisions
- Define critical mechanical component outlines for interface and other critical fixture elements
- Generate dimensional and tolerance analysis to assure design functionality and accuracy
- Conduct cross functional design reviews to ensure that proposed design solutions meet all Customer requirements as well as manufacturing standards
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering required, (Mechanical Engineering preferred) with a minimum of 2-3 years of experience in CAD 3D modeling in a product research and development or sustaining engineering role.
- At least 1-2 years of experience using CAD software (preferably ProE/Creo) and performing 3D modeling is required; Experience with PTC Windchill is a plus
- Must have strong analytical skills with a solutions-oriented, engineering problem solving mindset
- Ability to work collaboratively in a project team environment, as well as working independently to support and deliver effective solutions for assigned engineering projects is required
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
ABB Installation Products Division (formerly Thomas&Betts),is the number one manufacturer of electrification products in North America with a 125-year history of providing innovation and customer- focused solutions for connecting and protecting electrical systems, as well as a unique differentiated medium voltage offering. Our products are used all around you, every day – orbiting the earth, working on Mars, on the fastest trains we ride, in the fastest cars of the world, crossing oceans, in factories producing your food, in the tallest buildings of the world, in the most modern hotels and in the walls of your home. With a portfolio of more than 200,000 products marketed under more than 38 premium brand names, our Division offerings are found wherever electricity is used.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.