This position performs all routine and complicated laboratory procedures including specimen processing and handling, testing of patient specimens, calculating and reporting of results, performance of quality control procedures, operation and maintenance of instruments and equipment, assisting in the development of new procedures and protocols, may perform phlebotomy and other patient oriented tasks, and may perform other related duties as requested or directed.
A. Education/Skills Required:
- Associate degree in a laboratory science (chemical or biological science) or medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution, or equivalent laboratory training and experience meeting the requirements defined in the CLIA regulation 42CFR493.1489:
- Successfully completed an official U.S. military medical laboratory procedures training course of at least 50 weeks duration and currently hold the military enlisted occupational specialty of medical laboratory specialist (laboratory technician); OR
- 60 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited institution that, at a minimum, includes either 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses, OR 24 semester hours of science courses that include six semester hours of chemistry, six semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination; AND
- Laboratory training including either completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by the ABHES, NAACLS, or other organization approved by HHS (note that this training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed above), or at least three months documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
- Clinical rotations associated with training.
- One (1) year previous hospital experience as a Laboratory Technician preferred, but not required.
- Must provide proof of certification or certification eligibility for MLT (ASCP), MLT (AMT), or equivalent. If certification with an expiration date is held, the certification must be kept current.