Expected Weekly Hours:
At Saint Alphonsus Health System, we are looking for people who are living out their calling. We want you to be passionate about coming to work, and challenged to achieve your potential. Living by these virtues, we pride ourselves on exceptional service and the highest quality of care.
The Medical Technologist performs tests related to the diagnosis and treatment of patient by utilizing various medical laboratory procedures in the Clinical Laboratory. Correlates and integrates other patient data when interpreting test results. Uses professional judgment and has an in-depth knowledge of laboratory techniques, scientific principles, quality control, and instrument maintenance. Recognizes problems, identifies causes, and determines alternative methods and solutions.
Job Description Details:
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Medical Lab Technologist (MLT), Medical Technologist (MT), Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS), Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or equivalent certification by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) required or registry eligible and obtained within 1 year of hire date.
- 1 year of medical technology training preferred. Bachelor's degree in medical technology or related science preferred.
- Experience in a clinical laboratory preferred.
- Computer experience preferred.
- Meets Health System's Guiding Behaviors and Caring Standards including interpersonal communication and professional conduct expectations.
- Demonstrates knowledge and compliance with all departmental policies and procedures relevant to the scope of activities including safety policies.
- Performs, records and reviews scheduled QC. Takes immediate corrective action when QC data is outside established limits.
- Performs and records routine maintenance of equipment. Recognizes and documents poor instrument performance and takes appropriate action independently.
- Verifies specimen labeling, integrity and suitability before performing testing.
- Accurately performs low, medium and high complexity testing procedures according to established protocols and regulatory requirements.
- Reports test results accurately and appropriately. Reports critical test results to physician, nursing station or physician office according to established protocol.
- Ability to prioritize work to maintain maximum efficiency. Uses spare time to assist other areas as needed.
- Performs phlebotomy when needed according to laboratory policies and procedures.
- Monitors supply inventory and takes appropriate action to ensure that needed supplies are readily available.
- Reviews work performed by clinical laboratory assistants. Performs corrective actions if required.
- Performs expected tasks without direction of supervisor.
- Ensures accuracy of work being reported by assigned department. Examines review lists, pending logs and the like. Resolves problems immediately and communicates with oncoming shift, nurses/physicians as appropriate.
- Works independently and troubleshoots analyzers by calling tech support, etc.
- Full Time (36 hours per week)
- Night Shift, 7 days on/7 days off once trained
Visit Saint Alphonsus on Facebook !
Visit Saint Alphonsus on Linkedin !
See additional information by visiting Saint Alphonsus YouTube page!
Other career opportunities at www.saintalphonsus.org/careers
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs more than 120,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 21 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.